1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win Ranger 'Super Trap' Mk 5 papers ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stan B., Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan B.

Stan B. TS Member

Win Ranger

I have a bunch of these paper hulls, and would like to re-load them. They are 1960's vintage. Marked 'Winchester Ranger Super Trap Mark 5'. Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance,

Stan B.

2. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

If their 1960s probably just go find AAs for 4-8cents per hull because your going to have a lot of trouble finding the right load for them. here's another post about reloading them.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=297678

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

AA 12R wad. Powder pick your poison. They load and shoot great but watch for loose base wads!!

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

A SAC over powder wad + 1/2" filler wad +a plastic shot protector strip + a dose of Red Dot + 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's shot. Not a bad load at all.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you load on a MEC, the primer ram can push the base wad down around the primer and you can end up with miss fires.

Good Luck,

Ajax

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The problem with reloading Winchesters paper hulled, fiber formed base wad know as Super Target, Super Trap and a number of other brand names is twofold. First a portion or all of the base wad has a habit of breaking loose and lodging in the barrel, not a good circumstance. Depending where the hulls have been stored will influence the brittleness of the base wad and its tendency to break loose. The second issue hinges around the diameter of depriming rod and whether or not the depriming rod is absolutly centered in the primer hole. If the depriming rod is to large a diameter or the rod is not centered it will skive pieces of the fiber base wad droping them into the primer hole causing hang fires or total loss of ingnition.

If you have the proper equipment such as long ago discontinued Texan's heated depriming, sizing press that heats and reconstitutes the base wad to the hull, you can safely reload these hulls, but no more than twice in my opinion.

The best all around loads for these hulls are 18.5 or 19.5 grains of Red Dot, Winchester's red wad or equivalent clone and Winchester's 209 primer.

I would not recommend shooting these out of anything but a break open gun as prudence requires you check your barrel after each shot. Super Target/Trap have always been a smokey load even when new and more so as a reload regardless of powder, so expect barrel smoke.

These Winchester shotshells when new were the best performing target loads ever produced for the trap shooting community, better than the fabled Federal paper.

Surfer

7. Stan B.

Stan B. TS Member

To all...

Thanks for all the info... The collective body of knowledge possessed by members on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Stan B.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Brings back memories. I used to shoot MK5 Winchesters duck hunting. #6 shot through my 1100 or A5. Back in the day of lead shot......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.