1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

win. pre 64 22 hornet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

just purchased a winchester pre 64 22 hornet in 80 to 85 percent condition. The gun functions perfect. Just wondering the value and what you guys think of the round.Thanks from lary.

2. shark1

shark1 Member

How is the throat? Has it been checked for head space? Early hornets are worth a lot if pristine, but can go down fast as shooters. Heavy barrel? These are great guns to collect. Demand is always high on pre-64's. The round is a good round, but do not fire fast it will eat you barrel up!
    Mike Sharkey, DC

3. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Shark1

You must be thinkin 220 Swift not Horney

Hornets are very mild and easy on bores.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Congrad's on your gun. Some of the 22 Hornets have a bore of 223 or 224. In other words you have two size 22 bullets. Look on some of the reloading bullets boxes and you will see the numbers. Second make sure its a 22 Hornet and not a 22 K Hornet. There were some guns that were converted from 22 H to 22 KH.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Winchester made the hornet in more than one model prior to 1964. Which model are you referring to?

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

He's right. Is it a Model 43 or a Model 70. In 80% shape a 43 will bring 4-600. More if a deluxe. M70--probably $1000 to $1300.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The one I had 30 years ago would shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards. I don't keep guns like that around long.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The round is fun to shoot but a pain to load for due to the thin brass and the fact that it is designed to headspace on the rim. Guys that thinker with their loads usually get them to shoot quite well. The M70 action is excessive for this tiny shell but the combo has collector value. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

9. shark1

shark1 Member

9piont3 you are correct, my mistake. Mike sharkey, DC

10. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

If it is for sale email me above with pic's. Regardless of condition. I've got a couple, and they shot as good as a new model Cooper, around 3/4" at 100 yards. Excellent rat cartridge.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "....a pain to load for due to the thin brass ...."

Yep. I have a .224 Harvey Kay-Chuck, which is a shortened .22 Hornet that has the case walls blown out in Ackley fashion. It's modified to fit a S&W K-22 revolver that's been converted to centerfire. It's a real pain shortening the cases by the amount required because the brass, being so thin, tries to tear.

BTW, speaking of .223 vs .224 bullets, this handgun uses .222 jacketed bullets, but .223 cast will work as well.

"....and the fact that it is designed to headspace on the rim...."

Actually, if the headspacing is done correctly, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is when a certain lot of cases may be off for rim thickness. I've never had problems with any of my old west cartridges with the exception of brass for my .50-140. Because of the variations between makers I undersized my headspace and have to hand fit the cases to the rifle. Not a big deal since there is no commercially made ammo for this combo anyway. Also, there are some benchrest cartridges that headspace on the rim that are highly successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perfect hornets trap
pre 64 22hornet
steves page winchester 43 22 hornet

winchester pre 64 22 hornet

winchester pre 64 22 hornet for sale
winchester pre war 22 hornet barrel bore diam