1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win Model 12 -- Favorite Trap Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cjkostic, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

I know all guns pattern differently and I need to do my pattern board work, but I thought I'd do some research here first. I'd like to know if any of you Model 12 shooters have a favorite load for 16-21 yards that you'd be willing to share with a shooter new to the Model 12. Mine is a 1954 edition with a 30" full choke barrel. It has one of the aftermarket super-wide ribs (similar to the Browning Broadway) that extends all the way back over the receiver. I bought new trap wood for it; tested it out at the range and am going to use it forever or until next year, whichever comes first. Right now it is off at the smith being reblued, new white beads installed, bolt and carrier jeweled and a few other things to put it into tip-top shape.

So, anyone care to share what smokes 'em when fired from their Model 12 with similar dimensions?

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Check a reloading guide and pick a one ounce load that utilizes the cases you have on hand.

My choice is Rem STS cases, using Promo powder and downrange one ounce wads.
    I like the tgt12 wads.

I won't suggest how much promo to use, that is what the loading guide is for.

If you are comming to the model 12 from other more modern guns, be prepared to probly feel more perceived recoil.
    This is why I suggest one ounce loads of around 1200 or 1150 fps.

Shooting these loads have enable me to continue shooting my model 12.

ed

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

1/1/8 ounce of 8's @ 1090 fps load, keep pressure down no matter what powder you are using

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Rem STS, 1145fps, 1-1/8oz #8-1/2s for 16's, worked real well through my tight choked M-12.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Nitro 27's, nothing but the best ... (Handicap-7 1/2's) WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Federal Papers...Enough Said

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My best yrs with the mdl 12 were using federal paper with a 33 bushing(MEC) with fed 209 primer and claybuster 12s3 wads---Gives me 18.1 gr,I think close to 1200 fps with #8 shot---also works great with 7 1/2 shot---I now use the same only with Fed Gold Medals(plastic)---So far I never had a problem with the smooth Gold Medals coming apart but keep a shaved ram rod in the truck in case---The above load workes for me in all my trap guns--I also use AAs with fed 209 primer for 1 oz using WAA12sl wads with 17.6 gr red dot and #8 with reclaim shot--Less recoil but not sure if I'm happy with the reclaimed---Also may have to bump up the gr a bit---Using a Dillon loader for this load---gL---SJB

8. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

Shot mine for 27 years. If your reloading try a windjammer wad, 11/8 #8 magnum shot, 19.5 grains of 700x. Sends it down the barrel at 1250fps and will grind targets. Good luck with your 12.

9. BIGBIRD49

BIGBIRD49 Member

I like to use WWAA with a WW209 primer, 1 1/8 oz of #8, WAA12 wad, and 21 gr of 800X. Its a low pressure load and I seem to shoot it well.

Dick

10. fishguts

fishguts Member

My favorite M12 breaks the targets into small pieces with 7 1/2's, but really smokes them with 8's or 8 1/2's.

You've done a lot of cosmetic work on your gun, but don't forget the most important part, the trigger. Check the springs, make sure the extractors are sharp, make sure the pins, etc. are seated properly.

Wayne

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Best I ever shot at the Grand, 1982 I think, I used Gold Medal, 1oz of 8/12.

Broke a 97 from 20yd. Really puffed the targets.

However, if I was shooting from longer yardage I think I would use paper Federals 3x7/12. A little more recoil than I like from a M 12 but they really do the job.

Regards.....Gerald

12. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

Thank you for all the input. I have a good point to start from and will do so as soon as my Model 12 is back in my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.