1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win. Mod 42 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tbuster, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbuster

tbuster Member

I was at a gun show over the weekend and ran across a Model 42. The unusual thing that I noticed about it was that at the end of the magazine where there ususally is a pin that you push that released the forearm to slide up and separate the gun at the receiver, had no pin nor was there a hole where a pin should be. "I do not know the technical name for this pin." I had never seen this before and wondered if anyone out there could fill me in on what may have happened or if this was a common occurance with this type of gun.

2. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Are you positive it was a Model 42?

3. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

All the model 42's I have seen or worked on over 35 years have all had a pin through the magazine tube. This pin is to rotate the magazine tube about 1/2 turn to be able to slide the forend forward to clear the rear of the mag tube so you can twist off the barrel from the receiver. You may be mistaken in the make and model.

Steve

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

There is a little spring that holds the pin in. If it breaks it can fall out. You can see a schematic at Gun parts corp. Oops missed there was . No hole , maybe it was a Mossberg?lol, Jeff

5. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Yep, that was what I was thinking. Probably a Mossberg.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Model 25? Are you positive it was 410 and not 12 gauge?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. tbuster

tbuster Member

Thanks for the answers. I am sure it was a model 42 as I have two of them myself. It is definately one. I have never seen anything like this before and if I can get a photo from the gentleman that owns it, I will post it. I had just thought this may have been one of the most rare things like a mistruck coin. I had ever seen this before so wanted to see if anyone else has seen one like it.

8. tbuster

tbuster Member

9. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Yes, post a picture please. I am curious.

10. tbuster

tbuster Member

I have gotten hold of the gentleman that owns this 42 and he is going to post the picture of it and the area in question about the gun. It may be awhile so please be patient.

11. tbuster

tbuster Member

12. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

sounds like my h&r model 402

13. tbuster

tbuster Member

I have contacted the gentleman with this gun and hopefully he will post a picture of it. I am not sure if he will rename the post or not.

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Has he ever taken the gun apart?If so how?

Darr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.