1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win Mod 12 restoration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have an old Win Mod 12 that has a solid rib. I would like to restore this gun to look as good as possible. It needs bluing and stock finishing there is also a few dings on the receiver. This gun was my dad's and it has some sentimental value to me.
    Could some of you give me your recommendation of who might be able to handle this job?
    Thanks, John

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have an old Win Mod 12 that has a solid rib. I would like to restore this gun to look as good as possible. It needs bluing and stock finishing there is also a few dings on the receiver. This gun was my dad's and it has some sentimental value to me.
    Could some of you give me your recommendation of who might be able to handle this job?
    Thanks, John

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks, John

4. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

I best place for resotration of model 12's, 21, foxes, LC Smiths, is Central Maine Gun Works. They purchased the entire inventory, equipment, parts etc of Andy's custom Shop. You can reach them by calling 315-363-7041 and speak with Henry or Gary. Tell them that the person who sold them Andy Gun Works refered you.

They have done alot of work on my model 12 and 21's. Excellent!!!! and most importantly honest and reasonalble.

5. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had Simmons do a complete restore on a 1914 Model 12 and the work and price were excellent.
    Pat Haskins

6. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Need restoration also....Recently purchased a used Y Modl trap, receiver has freckling, ...plan is to send it to Simmons. Newly purchased older 2 pin trap that has a lot of blue wear, and the serial #s on the barrel are worn, otherwise mechanically very good.....I want it blued, and the numbers "raised", is that possible? Also looking to Simmons for this....any suggestions that I should go elsewhere...Thanks WC

7. Alamo

Alamo Member

My older brother had out father's Ithaca Model 37 restored. Looks brand new, like it has never been fired. Kind of destroyed the sentimental value for me. All of the bluing that was worn off and the dings that were in the stock that our father had done are now gone. Can't see a single thing that it is left of how our father used it. My brother has the gun, I never look at it, I prefer to remember it the way it was.

Larry Hancock

8. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Simmons just fnished a 20 gauge Model 12 for me and did a great job.

John Semprini

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Stu Wright. The definitive Mod. 12 restorer yet reasonable.

10. TC

TC TS Member

"This gun was my dad's and it has some sentimental value to me." Once it has been "restored", the sentimental value will be gone forever! Cherish it as it is and remember your dad. JMHO

11. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

How long did it take Simmons to reblue and return gun? Thanks WC

12. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

There are plenty of smiths that are more than capable of doing the work..many listed here that have GREAT repetitions for there craft. When it comes too Refinishing....Simmons is who I use....As ,that's what they do..as close to Factory Finish as EPA allows. Just took delivery of solid rib gun...Looks as New and very reasonable pricing and turn around. Shoot well ...shoot often !!

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

simmons usually take 4-6 months--- and when you give it to them DONT CALL to see when its done!!! they make a point to say--THEY will call you, as they need paid just as bad as you want the gun back!!!!--but worth the wait!!-- wrights do a nice job as well, and reasonably pxd--i have had 20ga @ wrights for 3 months!

14. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Maybe...I was just LUCKY ..on the last one. Was told 4-6 weeks and had it in 5 weeks. Was just in for Blue finish, did however have one much longer..but that was last year and it needed alot of work. Good luck on your Choice.

15. TFC

TFC TS Member

Blszer1, the shop you refer to is "Gun Works of Central New York" not Maine.

Regards, TFC

16. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Mine took about 8 weeks at Simmons.
    Pat Haskins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

restore win mod 12