1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win Mod 12 questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I am wanting to purchase a Win Mod 12 to use as a "games" gun and am confused about the different terminology used to describe the occasional Mod 12 that shows up on the forum.. What is the difference between a "Y model" and others? What is a "duck bill" MOd 12? Is one particular configuration more desirable that others?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Find one you can shoot and buy it don't get into all of the particulars that probably won't matter to you any way ... Don't confuse yourself ... No such thing as a bad Model 12, just some better than others ask anyone who is selling one ... Make sure the barrel has not been butchered by some guy with a brake hone because it was to tight ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Excellent choice. Every guy shooting a high $$ gun seems to have at least one M12 in the safe. For a good reason. Easy gun to shoot. Agree with WPT, if there was barrel work done, move on. Unless a reputable guy did it (ie Herb Orre). And if he did the work, it probably isnt for sale. Pre 64' guns are just that, made before 1964, machined receiver from a chunk of steel. Built like tanks. Generally most prefer this gun. Y models were made 1972-75, receivers were pressed, not machined. The serial # starts with a "Y" b4 the #s. Still a good gun althought the purists dont favor them as well. I have both, and they cycle excellent. Y models also were bored more open for less felt recoil, i dont notice it myself. they have a jeweled bolt. Make sure the serial #s match. Has a rib, preferably installed by Winchester or Simmons. 30" Full choke on a pre 64' is a great set up. Duckbill refers to the piece on the receiver that matches up to the rib on the barrel. Got more info to keep in mind should it be of interest to you.

4. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Actually, the Y Model 12 receiver was sand investment cast, not pressed. So was the bolt, receiver extension, magazine band, and trigger guard housing. Some like the Y Models better. The pre-64's are broken down into 2 pin and 3 pin models. Meaning the number of pins used to anchor the rib to the post on the barrel. The 2 pins are usually better made and more desirable. The 3 pin is generally made the same, except not as much care was made to smooth the action or buff out machining marks on the metal. The 2 pin models are smoother in action and were usually finished off much better in appearance. Metal fit and buffing were better, and the wood usually had better grain. Even the roll stamping on the 2 pin models is crisper and deeper. Most die hard Model 12 guys prefer the 2 pin model. They are older, so finding them in great condition is getting harder as time goes by. The plus for buyers is that Model 12s have hit a flat spot and in some areas declined in value. Good deals can be had, so be patient and wait for the right one.

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

jmac_cope,

The website above may be of interest to you.

LA in MA

6. Hookedonshooting

Lwr, I stand corrected on how the Y model receiver was made. You are correct. Note of caution - When stripping down a Y model, be careful cleaning the receiver, as the edges are sharp and will cut you like a knife. I learned the hard way. BTW, I have a 52' 2 pin that the area Federal Rep is/has committed to purchase from me, but if it fails thru, advise if you are interested.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The "Y" series are a "harder" sell than a pre-64. Also, a
    Simmons rib diminishes the value compared to a Winchester
    rib.

8. Hookedonshooting

As Lwr described (pls re read his post) it a 1952 trap gun which was made using 2 pins to secure the rib on the barrel. It is considered the best built M12 made, as Winchester started getting squeezed by Remington and subsequently tried to reduce costs to compete. 3 pin guns are fine. my shooter is a 1962 3 pin. Does that help?

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Great information! Thanks to all who responded. I guess I will put feelers out for a Pre 64 Mod 12 with vent rib. 30" full choke.

Thanks again

JMAC

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a m12 game gun it is a 3 inch with a simons rib it is a brick s##t house and will reach out there they were choked for distance pass shooting. I would not over look one of these 3 in guns. One is for sale on here with a factory donut rib they were advailabe from the factory special ordered. Stu Wright told me the rib was milled and he said he mikes the thickness to determin the factory rib. He is the guy to go to for Model 12 info he worked with Herb Orr for years just talked to him at the grand. The best Trap model is a 2 pin Duck bill rough back you need to have a good m12 smith check the condition as fixing one can be expensive.
    Buddy

Search tags for this page

what is the factory installed vent rib on a win m12

whats a win mdl 12 y model with a herb orre choke worth