1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win M21 12 Ga. Game gun-cased-F/S-Nice!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by boomer, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Win M21 12 Ga.-cased-F/S-Nice! $$ REDUCED!

A very nice Winchester Model 21 12 gauge game gun for sale. This gun was started in 1947 and completed in early 1948--factory build sheet with gun. It has 28 inch barrels bored and marked improved modified on the RIGHT and improved cylinder on the LEFT. Yes--you read that right--the tight barrel is on the right. Perhaps a lefty ordered it, but the stock is neutral in cast. Perhaps someone shooting driven birds wanted to shoot the long bird coming in with the right barrel and the over head bird with the left barrel. Who knows, but it is a bit unusual. You almost never will see improved mod on a Winchester M21. Actual constriction is .020 right and .009 left. The gun weighs 7lb 2oz and has ejectors, single selective trigger and a splinter forend. The LOP is 14 inches over a non-factory pad. Original blue about 90%. Some rub wear from sliding in/out of the case. Wood finish maybe 85% with sharp checkering. Nicely figured wood. Blue wear on the lower tang behind the trigger guard. Perfect mechanics and bores. This gun comes with a double ended Abercrombie & Fitch leather takedown case that is in very nice shape inside and out and has some tooling on the leather sides. A nice, trim, lively 12 bore game gun that will be ready to go this fall season. Email me for pix or call Bill @ 609-658-7739. Price reduced to $4750 delivered in the lower 48.

2. Listo777

Listo777 TS Member

interesting that the barrel is marked imp mod.

.020 is actually modified.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Maybe Modified now but 30 years ago it was Imp Mod.

ALF

4. boomer

Pix have been sent. And to you folks debating the choke constriction--take a look at Schwings book on the Model 21. (Page 94) Winchester Model 21 choke constrictions were on the "open" end of the spectrum. Imp. cyl. was .004-.006. Mod was .010-.015. IMPROVED MOD was .015-.018 and full jumped up to .031-.036. This particular gun is on the tighter end of the acceptable range in 1948 for a factory bore improved mod.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

On the 21's, it was common to believe the left barrel shot "softer" than the right barrel, thus many custom orders had tighter chokes on the right bore. .015 constriction was considered Modified choke by the pattern on paper, not by constriction, and it is correct. They are tight shooting guns.

6. boomer

Additional pix sent.

7. boomer

Serial # 19xxx.

8. boomer

In response to several inquiries--the Cody Museum has supplied me witht he "build" sheet for this gun. It matches in every detail, except the pad. The gun originally had a hard rubber buttplate.

9. boomer

Price reduced to $4750!

10. boomer

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Boomer, mine was built about 500#'s after yours. Nice to know the era it came from. I didn't have all the provenance with mine as you do. And I think your price is very reasonable. Great guns!

12. boomer

Ljutic 73--The fact is you can't go by the serial numbers to determine when a gun left the factory. Yours might have been made in 48 or it could be years apart from my gun. They used up the frames in random fashion and I;ve had lower serial number guns that were made 5-8 years later. If you want to email me your serial number, I'll check the Cody records for you. BD

13. boomer

REDUCED TO $4650 DELIVERED!

14. boomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.