1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win AAs fail to cycle 1100 (2-3/4 dr eq)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve-CT, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

This past weekend I shot two boxes of new, Win. AAs (light 8s), the classic trap round 1-1/8th oz shot 2-3/4 dr eq nominal 1,145fps velocity - and had a 50% failure to eject rate.

They sounded fine, broke the targets fine, but literally half (or more) of the shells would stovepipe with the extractor impaling the side of the hull.

No problems with Remington STS equivalent, nor with reloads w/ 17.5 gr of Red Dot, RXP wad, Rem 209 primer in an STS hull.

I noticed the Winnies burning very cleanly, almost "too clean" - wondering if the pressure curve was too low over the ports because everything else was fine.

Anyone else notice this or hopefully, this was just a fluke and bad lot of shells?

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Forgot to mention: gun was a DuPont era Remington 1100 in excellent shape and 100% reliable with everything else

3. Stan B.

Stan B. TS Member

Steve,

This may be useful ( or not ) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/wolf_from_wv/rem_1100_gas_orifice.jpg

Note the difference in the number and size of the gas ports between field and target barrels.

FWIW,

Stan

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My 1187 with the 28" light contour barrel will not cycle light AA's.<br>
    <br>
    My 30" trap barrel sometimes fails to cycle (bolt locks open) with light AA's on this same gun. Note that this is a target barrel set up for light loads.<br>
    <br>
    Two more 1187's with standard barrels (26" and 28") will not cycle with these loads.<br>
    <br>
    Light Aa's are just too light for unmodified Remington gas guns.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Steve-ct - Has this 1100 cycled this ammo in the past?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check O ring and gas seals, clean gas ports. If they are in good shape clean magazine tube and lube with Break Free, leave tube wet and test fire the gun. HMB

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Did you check the length of the hulls? I've noticed some irregularity in the length of hulls.

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Yes, I have used this ammo in the past. Never had a problem. Been shooting Win/Rem/Fed of all types through my guns since 1980. Never had this problem.

Gun was clean, in fact, I had just installed a new action spring, new link, new set of piston rings and barrel seal.

As I mentioned, the gun worked 100% with 2-3/4 dr eq STS loads and my 17.5 Red Dot reloads and I even shot some 2-3/4 dr eq Fed Gold Medals - no problem.

I'm convinced I had a bad lot of AAs or, they have reformulated them to burn as cleanly as possible - which generally means a fast, peak pressure curve and efficient burn which means gas pressure loss over the ports.

Note that Patrick Flanagan, Winchester sponsored exhibition shooter, uses 3-DRAM EQ AA 9s to cycle his SX3

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

hitapair - I've noticed irregularity in all brands of shells for hull length.

Including Remington STS.
    It used to be, the Nitro 27s were all the same - now they vary as much as a tenth of an inch in fired length

The STS hull is used for everything from short, 26 gram Int'l loads up to an including 1-1/4 oz pigeon loads and I have examined and reloaded every version of STS available and yes, the 7/8-oz factory hulls were shorter than the 1 and 1-1/8 oz loaded and the 1-1/4 oz pigeons are the longest of all.

This had never been a factor in cycling, however.

10. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Stan B thanks for the input and I am already aware of that. I do not have a port size issue. Thank you anyway.

The issue is with the AA shells

Brian in OR may have hit it - he's had problems in his 11-87

These particular AAs I was firing were the weakest cycling I've ever seen

I've shot Win featherlights that opened the action with more authority.

I will try another two boxes this weekend from a different lot and report back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.