1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win. AA reloads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's been some time since the hullabaloo about AA reloads. Has Winchester changed their make up or do shooters just not reload them anymore?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've loaded many thousands of the new style AA hulls. I have not experienced a loose basewad, nor have I seen one "in person" anywhere else. I've heard a lot of second and third hand stories, but never any real evidence it happened. I inspect the inside of EVERY hull I load and specifically look to see if anything is out of place. I tried to get one out without slicing the hull open. Notice the word "tried". I had to open or destroy the tube in order to get the basewad loose.

All that said, it's a possibility that it could happen, but not in my experience. I have had MANY EuroTrash Hulls with migrated wads, but never a AA. I won't load the EuroTrash hulls, nor will I even shoot them new.

I think the problem with the New Style AA hulls was mostly the spreading of F.U.D. by many people without any direct experience with an actual example of the issue. (Fear, Uncertainly, and Doubt = FUD)

3. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Received a letter from Winchester Ammunition dated 1/6/10 regarding the reloading of the AA hull.

For target loads, reloading approx. 8 times. "The Winchester AA (HS)hull has been designed so it can be reloaded multiple times."

FWIW.

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have loaded many thousands of both the old and new type AA with no problems. The AA hulls are all that I reload.

Regards, Allen.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have loaded AA hulls since 1963. They have served me well.

Pat Ireland

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I'll re-load just about any type of hull once, just to gain some info about them. I prefer Nitro / STS hulls, but have a large stash of A-As as well. No problems, just choose the proper wads and powder charge, use prudent judgement, and go for it!

AndyH ;-)

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good! And Thanks for the replys.

8. TC

TC TS Member

There have been several engineering changes since the first generation of the new hulls. I have not seen a loose base wad in the last couple years. I would not use anything except brass based hulls ie, AA or STS.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've reloaded AA's for 35 years, still do. I've had very few problems in all that time.

10. 20yard

20yard TS Member

one thing to add to all above is type of reloader. My MEC pushes on the inside base wad to seat the primer. I think others that grab from the outside could be more prone to push up the base wad. I reload my AAs about 5 times, at the end the crimps are cracked and hulls are dirty. I've never seen a split hull as shown above nor any loose base wad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.