1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WIN AA RELOAD CRIMP ISSUE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

The new WIN AA hulls leave a perfect small open circle at the top of the shell. Any other shell I reload closes fine ex. REM, FED, cheap or premium. I use a MEC 9000G. I tried adjusting it, and tweaking the machine too no such luck. Any Body else have this problem?
    Michael Sharkey, DC

2. blkfin

blkfin Member

Michael, I was having the same problem with my hornady 366, plus crushing a AA hull every once in awhile with waa12sl wads, loading 1oz. I called hornady and was told the crimp die body I was using was for a tapered hull as in the old style AA,s. I bought the new style die body and all the problems went away. I don,t know if mec makes a crimp die body that will help you. Maybe call mec and see if they can help you. Mike K.

3. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

I use a Mec Sizemaster and get the same results with the Win AA. I don't have this problem with any other shell I reload. They seem to shoot fine. I also tried adjustments, but the size of the hole remains the same.

4. rlh24758

rlh24758 TS Member

Try and lower your crinp starter,the hole in the middle should be as big as a pencil eraser, keep lowering it untill on the final crimp the hole is closed up all the way

5. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Good idea John. I have been in the candle business all my life. Helps for better year end profits.. Stroker

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Wow, great idea, open flame on the loading bench.

How bout lowering the crimp starter. It works.

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I load on PW's and had the same problem with the small open hole. Someone else said to lower the crimp starter until the sides of the hull meet. It works. It also works on all other hulls set this way. They look like factory.---Now if I can just remember to fill the powder hopper!!

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Shark, contact Winchester. They have printed a piece on adjusting the MEC to accomplish exactly what you are seeking.

WNCRob

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

OK I have listened to this candle thing before and kept to myself.

BUT open flame around powder is a no no.

If you do this do it away from the reloading room. Melt the candle (electric heater away from reloading) and drop the wax something onto the crimp.

Rock

Jim

10. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Lower the crimp starter and then lower the cam about 1/32in. Good luck

11. shark1

shark1 Member

Thanks to all who have posted. Called MEC, and Winchester both gave advise which is about the same. Just wondering should I buy a new press to avoid this issue in the future. That Spolar or PW sure do look nice.
    Thanks once again to every body.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This isn't just a MEC problem Mike, all loaders need fine adjustment to make the perfect shell when switching between the various hull makes. But a guy doesn't always need a legitimate reason to get new toys:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lower starter crimp on mec sizemaster

mec sizemaster crimp crushing tube

mec sizemaster problems
new aa reloading issues
new win aa reloading problems
sizemaster crushing hulls
will win aa 8 cripm work in mec sizemaster