1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win AA PLUS extra low brass?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Picked up a few of these hulls today. They say:

WINCHESTER, [AA PLUS], 1 oz. 9, TARGET LOAD

Brass is 3/16 of an inch high. Lowest brass I've ever seen. Learn something new every day.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Joe,

I had a bunch of these a few years back. They just looked odd to me, but they are basically the same hull as the regular brass. I guess it was a marketing strategy like using high brass to designate higher powered loads. I guess they thought that the lower brass would equate with lighter loads. It could also have been an excuse to save money on the brass.

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

MANY years ago, I had experienced brass and cases splitting with AA hulls - after being only once-fired. I sent about 5 samples and a nice letter to Winchester, asking if they were aware of any maunfacturing issues / problems with their trap loads.

They replied that they were experiencing some sort of problem with the plastic at the time. As a "remedy", the company also sent me a box of empty hulls ; they were the low-brass variety you referenced.

I loaded them exactly as I did their "higher brass" trap loads, and got just as good results. In fact, I may still have a few of them floating around somewhere.......

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have many of the originals in once-fired. I reload them once, as I do with ALL my reloads.

Not a problem with them ever.

Whiz

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Joe, if yours are like mine, check the base with a magnet, you may have the only steel based AA's I'm aware of. Mine are.

But mine aren't 3/16" tall, I'll have to dig them to measure exactly but I would guess closer to an eighth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.