1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win AA HANDICAP SHELL QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've recently started shooting the GREY hull AA Super Handicaps and like them allot (1 1/8, 3dr, 7 1/2, 1250). Winchester lists the item number as AAHA1275.

In shopping around I've seen a AA SILVER hull Handicap 1 1/8, 3dr, 7 1/2 shell with an item number of WAAHA12 listed in a supplier's catalog. No FPS data was listed.

Does anyone know the difference, if any?

Guy Babin

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The typical velocity for the 3 X 1 1/8 load is 1200 fps. Did you run into some old style AA Silver Bullets?

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I was looking in Gamaliel's on-line catalog. They list the Silver Handicaps:

Winchester AA Silver Hull Handicap 12 Ga. Shotshells
    Item Code: WAAHA12
    12 gauge, Shell Type: Silver Hull Handicap, Length: 2 3/4", Powder: 3 drams, Shot: 1 1/8 oz. 25 rounds per box, 10 boxes per case.

$7.90

Guy

4. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=AAHA127&bn=6&use=10

Winchester's code is broken down as "AA" (AA components), "12" (gauge), [a letter for dr.eq./velocity (Light Target loads have no letter, HA is for handicap)], and the last number is the shot size..(7 for 7.5, 8 for 8, 85 for 8.5, 9 for 9)....if there is an L after the gauge it means the shell is a 1oz load.

Winchester offers Light (2 3/4 dr eq), Heavy (3 dr), and Super-Handicap (3 1/4 dram) for Trap loads.

I'd imagine the supplier simply added a W for Winchester for their own catalog number and didn't specify shot size...you would have to order [W]AAHA127 for Super-Handicap 7.5's.

If you want a 3-dram AA 7.5 shot load, you would need AAM127.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=AAM127&bn=6&use=10

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The old Winchester Super Handicap (Silver Hull) was replaced by the dark gray hull several years ago. Many still refer to the dark gray hull as silver bullets.

Pat Ireland

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Super Handicap the newer ones (last 5 years) are dark gray with the separate base wad and the previous ones were Silver with an integral base wad. Both shells can be considered 3 1/4 dram eq but they are legal because they do not exceed the ATA and PITA maximum velocities for 1 1/8 oz loads.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So Gamaliel's online catalog is incorrect when they list a Silver hull WAAHA12. That's what threw me off as the price listed @ 7.90 looks great.

Their 2007-08 hard copy catalog does not refer to the silver hulls, but lists the dram equiv for the AAHA12x Super Handicaps as 3, which is again incorrect according to what youall have said above.

So to summarize straight from Winchester:

AAL127 - Light 2 3/4dr, dark red, #7.5

AAM127 - Medium 3 dr, light red, #7.5

AAHA127 - Heavy Super HCP Dram Equiv: N/A (3 1/4), dark grey, #7.5

Why does Winchester list the dram equiv. as N/A for the Supers?

Pat,

So I guess the only place we can get Silver Bullets anymore if directly from Coors - 12oz, 4.2%, #24pk.

Guy Babin

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Guy: You can buy the same AA at Walmart for less,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what components are in a winchester aa shell

what powder does winchester load in their aa 3 dram heavy shells

where does winchester make the aa shells

winchester 25 year anniversary aa super handicap shells

winchester aa light handicap