1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win AA featherlite?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I picked up a couple boxes of these 50% less recoil and 50% less noise, 26 grams of #8's at 980 fps. Will these work fine from 16 yards? And will I notice I need more lead?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I load the exact equivalent for trap & skeet.

7/8 Oz shot over 16.5 grains Promo

Works fine to 20+ yards (I've shot it from the 23 with no problems)

(NOTE - I am a recoil sissy...)

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The lead change will be inches. I wouldn't change a thing, just shoot them and smile. Mark

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I've loaded the same data as HSLDS but I think it's faster than 980fps. It is a nice reload. Did try those featherlites a couple years ago, didn't care for them as they did "seem" slow to me. Ross Puls

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I shot some of these that I got for my wife and kids to shoot. They hated them because they couldn't hit anything with them. So I finally shot up the rest of the boxes I got and I could see why they were frustrated. Yes they broke targets just fine from the 16, but boy did you have to center the target!!

Great practice for singles, but there is NO WAY I would ever shoot these in a competition!

The lack or recoil was a little unsettling. You point the gun and pull the trigger and it just goes "pop." Strange shells. On the good side, you get empty shells that look brand-freaking-new!

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ross is right on the speed. I was aiming for the Feather load, but got too many bloopers so I kicked it up about one grain.

I suspect they are running about 1000 fps - 1050 fps.

Here are recipes for Feather loads - I've not tried them so proceed with caution...

Winchester 12-ga. 2 3/4" AA hull (old style), Winchester 209 primer, Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad, 14.2 grains Alliant American Select, 26 grams (401 grains) of hard shot.

Winchester AA hull - Feather Lite
    26 grams of lead shot (about 15/16 ounces)
    12 grains of WAA Lite Powder
    Win. 209 Primer
    WAA12SL Wad

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Personally I have had reasonable luck shooting 24grm loads going about 1225 ft/sec. It is a good practice load, very low recoil and kills targets MUCH better than the AA featherlites. If you have your mind set on shooting 7/8ths then just go a bit faster and you will have a better performing load with very soft recoil characteristics.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is the shell of choice for Cowboy Action Shooting. It is not made for trap shooting.

Don Verna

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

My best friend has a Beretta 471 sxs that recoils so hard that it is unbearable with standard trap loads. Tried the AA featherlites, was very nice to shoot but would not set the inertia block. Turned it into a sxs single shot. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best reload for aa featherlite

youtube 12 guage winchester aa featherlite loads