1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win AA ammo identification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

At a garage sale, I found a container of factory, non fired grey Win. AA shells with no original box. Some of the shells are labeled "1 1/8 7 1/2 Super Handicap". Others are labeled " 1 1/8 7 1/2 Super Sport" They both have the copper centered primers and are clearly factory loads.
    Can someone tell me the difference between the two shells?

thanks for any info.

JMAC

2. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Super Handicap is 1250fps and Super Sport is 1300fps

3. build4u

build4u Member

Super Handicap are 1250 fps andSuper Sports are 1300 fps. Super Sports really pack some punch.

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll use the super handicaps for 27 yd stuff and the other for dove hunting. BTW there were three 5 gallon plastic buckets of these shells. $5.00 per tub. Wish I had found 10 buckets! Oh well

JMAC

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We had someone donate what we thought were factory shells to our gun club. We cut some open and they turned out to be well done reloads. They were even in boxes. They were loaded with about #4 pellets, old duck hunting loads. PW reloaders can put out good looking shells. I would sure open up some of those and check components. In buckets, sounds suspicious. Mark

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Oregunner , Win factory uses a primer not available to the public. Reloads are obvious.

7. Oregunner

I just compared a Winchester 209 primer from a primer sleeve, silver rim and brass core, with a brand new Winchester AA shell out the box, silver rim and brass core. They look the same to me. I would still cut some open before shooting them. Once fired reloads can look like new shells. They may be factory or good reloads, but maybe they aren't. Mark

8. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

I would never purchase "factory" ammo at a tag sale in 5 gallon buckets loose with the intention of shooting them. Maybe to reclaim the shot (if they were 71/2 or 8,,,)but thats about it.
    G

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The original poster said "copper center primers". You won't find those in reloads unless somebody that works at the factory took a bunch of the primers out the back door.

If you shot 10 buckets full of the sporting shells you would probably be in the market for a release trigger. Be thankful you didn't get them.

10. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

jmac_cope:

THE SHELLS SHOULD BE DISPOSED OF IMMEDIATELY, send me a PM

and I will give you the address of a safe location to send them to.

5 Stand Dan

11. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

5 Stand Dan,

I have the first bid for the cartage contract! That is too much weight for you to handle.

Chuck

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If some are SILVER and have ++ ++ on them they are the early AA Handicaps and are 1310+ fps shells.

They kick like hell too.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Oregunner, are you color blind?

14. Oregunner

I am not colorblind. Here is a picture of Winchester primers and a factory AA shell. The primers are the same color as the brass base of the factory shell. The OP calls the primers copper, but also doesn't know the difference between Super Handicap and Super Sport. Why would someone take factory shells out of their boxes and dump them in 5 gallon buckets? How much effort would it take to cut one apart to check components? Mark
    [​IMG]

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Once fired AA and a brand new W209 primer. They are not the same color. The once fired AA has a copper colored center and the W209 primer has a yellow brass color. You cannot buy the primers Winchester uses in their factory AA's.
    [​IMG]

16. TC

TC TS Member

I think I remember seeing factory primed AA empty hulls at one time.

17. Oregunner

I found an older box of AAs that had the copper primers. The new one in my picture came from a flat I bought last week at Cabelas. It looks like Winchester has switched to brass primers, at least in some of their shells. I only reload Remingtons, so hadn't paid much attention to factory Winchester primers. Mark

18. TC

TC TS Member

The first AA's had an all copper primer. Later they were changed to a copper primer cup with a steel ring. Individual Winchester primers for reloading have a brass primer cup with the steel ring.

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Oregunner- Were the shells you bought from a factory sealed flat, or loose boxes?

20. Oregunner

Factory sealed flat. I pulled the flat open to take a picture of a shell. I normally don't buy AAs, but with the AA rebate, a coupon, and some Cabelas points, I couldn't pass them up. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what do factory winchester aa primers look like