1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win 471 powder data???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Can't find any data for loading Win 471 Powder (Shotgun) I know it's heavy stuff, but that's what I need. Heavy coyote stuff. The can is old, but still sealed tight. Thanks

2. TD1958

TD1958 Member

You may want to just send that to me. Are you sure it's not 571? I would hate to think you were going to use that on coyotes. LOL. If it's 571 that is some of the best long range heavy load powders winchester ever produced and to this day i do not know why they quit making it. Good Luck, Tim

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If it is W571 you can call Hodgdon for some info, they sold it until the supply ran out. Most people say it's the same powder as Hodgdon HS-7. I would call. Click on the above link for some more info.

Wayne

4. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Yes, my error, I'm sorry. It is Win 571 powder indeed! Just looking for shotshell applications, hate to see it just set there. Thank You Jim

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

571 was designed for 1-3/8 up of lead shot and HS7 is the same but I believe Hogdons have stopped making it also. Not as much call for heavy lead anymore. If you look in the Lyman's book you can find a couple of loads for 1-1/4. It's a very slow powder and takes a good primer to build a fire under it. I sometimes shoot it for game loads from the porch. Normally with 1-1/4 but some times I drop one in that gets everyones attention. The 1-1/2 will almost turn you side ways. LOL

Ajax

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

There's a Winchester reloading booklet on Ebay right now for $5...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-Western-Ball-Powder-Loading-1977-Sporting-Arms-Rifle-Pistol-Reload-/250932702824?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item3a6cc12e68

Or, give us something more specific and maybe I can scan some data on here.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have an old Winchester recipe reloading book, 14th edition, 1994. The recipes call for the older hulls of that era. Winchester Compression-formed, Super X, Double A, Remington Peters RXP, Blue Magic, RTL. It looks like all require a minimum of 33grs. of 571 WW powder up to 38.5grs. This must burn at the same rate as cardboard. You will need to clean your gun after each shot. Probably similar to Black Powder.

Let me know what hull, shot weight, you are looking for.

Example: Winchester Double AA, Xpert, and Super X hull, WW 209 Primer, 36.5 grs. of 571 WW powder, Win. WAA12R wad, 1 1/2 oz. shot, gets 1260fps., at 10,300 LUP's.

Remington Peters "Blue Magic" hull, WW 209 Primer, 38.5 grs. of WW 571 powder, Win. WAA12R wad, 1 3/8 oz. shot, gets 1330 fps., at 10,000 LUP's.

Let me know what reloader you are using, for the correct bushing. Jon

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jimborn:

Check your private messages.

sissy

9. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Just a note; If anyone has some good 571 or HS-7 for sale I am an instant buyer. Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.