1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WIN.209

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom S, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom S

Tom S Member

Has anyone had this problem? I am using Winchester 209 primers and Remington STS hulls. I'm having a very hard time seating the primers. These are new once fired hulls. I used up all of my Winchester hulls and didn't have this problem. It takes a considerable amount of force to seat these primers.

Would appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Tom S.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats my normal loads STS hull W209 primer with no issues here. Note: different hulls and primer combos usually require different primer seating depths and/or pressure. you were set-up for AA now you must adjust for STS. Not all machines are that contrary most are.---Matt

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No problem with Win 209 primers & Rem STS hulls; that is all I load and never had a problem. Regards, Ed

4. gordy h

gordy h Member

I agree with grntitan I have to move the powder ( primer seating tube) 1/4 inch when going from AA to STS hulls Butch H

5. t901

t901 Member

what kind of loader I use a mec and don't change anything always use w209 in both aa and sts.
    Good Luck

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tom S---Just curious, what type machine are you using? I use a old Pacfic 366 and after i added the spring loaded primer seat i never had to re-adjust again. You will probably have to re-adjust again when you go back to AA's.----Matt

7. Tom S

Tom S Member

Thanks for the help everyone! I was using a Mec 9000 and switched to a Dillon SL900. For what its worth, never had any problems with the Mec seating primers. All I can say is I'm glad the Dillon has such a big handle, lol!

Tom S.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Remington primers are slightly shorter and more rounded at the nose than Winchester primers. Each company makes the primer pockets in their hulls to fit their own primers. The plastic hull is flexible enuf' so you can force a Win primer into a Rem hull but as you discovered.......they don't fit very good. That's why I use only Remington primers in Remington hulls.

John C. Saubak

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use a P/W 800+ and I had to turn the seating depth about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn only after the first Win 209 primer. After that I could switch back and fourth between Win. and Rem. primers with no problems.

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I go back and forth with no changes on my Pacific 366.

I did have to turn the primer seat down 1/2 turn when I did my first STS hulls, but I don't switch anything back for AA's any longer and no issues.

SW

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

With some presses, you may have to use a little extra pressure to seat the primers the first time. Subsequent loadings should be fine. I usually adjust my Mecs by dropping the charge tube a little. Winchesters are not the only primers that need a little extra pressure. You might want to call the press manufacturer and see if they have a suggestion.

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

A sure but tedious fix is to deprime and drill out any plastic that is blocking the seating of the Win 209 primer. A #1 drill bit is best but a 7/32" one will also work.

Jason

13. houbyhunter

houbyhunter TS Member

I too have had problems fully seating Win primers in Rem hulls using MEC presses. The size and shape of the primers are different. The best answer is to use Rem primers in Rem hulls.

14. The Stive

The Stive Member

I have a Mec 9000G and I use Win 209 primers for both AA and STS without any
    problems. John

15. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

My experience with this problem is that the Win 209 primer will fireform the once fired Rem primer pocket and the problem disappears after the first reloading. It is only a few .000 out of flush initially on my MEC 9000.

16. vital_kill

vital_kill TS Member

I have a PW 375C and have the same issues with WIN 209 primers and STS hulls.

17. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

I use a MEC 9000H never had a problem. The Winchester 209 and Remington hulls are all I have ever used

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.