Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

***** WIN,209,REM 209P,FED 209A, CCI 209 *****

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Quack Shot 
#1 ·
In most loads Fed 209A will be the hottest primer, win=mid range and cci 209 and rem at the bottom end.

G
#2 ·
The heat range. Some are hotter than others. You can tell this by the powder amount and psi on the published data. Never just substitute primers without consulting published data.

You can cause yourself great problems by changing hulls and wads, straight vs tapered, without consulting published data.

ec90t

#3 ·
Use the EXACT components listed in the data you are using. Changing anything can also have a dramatic effect on pressures. The loads are intended to be used as they are written. That said, some primers seem to give simialr performance in some loads. When in doubt, look for reliable data. You can call the powder companies and they are usually good about advising you. You can also send some samples out for pressure and velocity testing. That would be the best way to know what YOUR loads are developing.

Some people will tell you to use the primer from the same manufacturer of the hull. I don't always subscribe to that, but it works well for some people. I test my loads at low temperatures and see what effect the cold has on them. You'd be surprised at the difference some primers or powder makes in that regard. I put them in the freezer for a few days and test them while still cold. I'll do the same with some factory shells to get a feel for what they do.

There are a few primers that are oversized, and they would be the RIO G-600 and the Nobel Sports. Some of the older Cheddites were oversized, but the current ones are standard. The Rio primers seem to be very hot, since they use them with their own single based powders, which are hard to ignite. The Federal 209A are hot and the CCI 209M are as well. The Remingtons are about the mildest. Others are sort of in between. There is no way of knowing exactly how a primer will perform in a given load.

Once you use an oversized primer in a hull, you should not use a standard size in it again. The primer pocket will probably have enlarged a bit and it could cause a loose fit. I don't like hot gases coming back into the breech face, or my face for that matter.

Being a hot primer does not really mean one will develop the highest pressures with a given set of components. It could very well be that the "Mildest" primer produces the highest pressures. It's a crap shoot and it's best not to experiment unless you have the knowledge, testing facilities, and the resouces to do it safely.

#4 ·
What is good about the federal 209A is that you can reduce your powder amount and still obtain the speed required.

In my case, I use 700X powder and am able to reduce my loads by 1/2 gr. and still obtain the 1200 & 1250 fps while reducing the chamber pressures. (info supplied by Federal and IMR)

Curt

#6 ·
Thanks Doug. It's a standard reply and I think I'll just cut and paste it every time someone asks that same kind of question. It happens at least once a week. There was a couple of pages in one of the Lyman Shotshell Loading Books that addressed it very well. To sum it up, DO NOT SUBSTITUTE PRIMERS! That is, unless you have data to support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.