1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win 209 primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coachken, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coachken

coachken TS Member

Does anyone REALLY know why you cannot get Win 209 primers. Our club deals through Gamaliels, a major supplier. They have not had any Win 209's for what seems like months and say they have no idea when they will get any. It's not 'hoarding'... they never get any in for the hoarders to purchase! Checking the web reveals most other major suppliers are also "out of stock."
    Ken Gordon

2. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

coachken...I attended a trapshoot yesterday in Montrose, Pa and was told the only thing they could get were Winchester primers at Jerry's, a distributor in Forest City, Pa. ed nichols

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I just picked up 5,000 this past week-end (south-central PA).

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Manufacturers are running rifle and pistol primers, and rifle, pistol, and rimfire ammunition as fast as they possibly can. Anything shotshell, except for slugs and buckshot, as been put on the backburner for the time being.

5. mpenley

mpenley TS Member

If this be true... where are they all going and don't tell me to the National Guard, Boy Scouts of Americe, FEMA or any of that horse pucky. I have asked retailers and they have heard nothing from distributors, just not getting delivery to sell.

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

"Manufacturers are running rifle and pistol primers, and rifle, pistol, and rimfire ammunition as fast as they possibly can. Anything shotshell, except for slugs and buckshot, as been put on the backburner for the time being. "

So, the manufacturers can make rifle/pistol ammo or shotshells, but not both at the same time? This must explain why Winchester is offering rebates on shothells right now, they can't make any because their machinery has been switched over to rifle/pistol ammo/components.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

As in many issues it's probably not due to a single reason, and most of them, but one, which I will add to the list, have been articulated many times. Due to Remington no longer being a player, for a host of reasons, many of us have switched over to Winchester primers, because they are the closest premium primer that matches the Remington primer in physical size and performance. That alone could account for at least 50% of the shortage, although I believe it might be higher. It would be interesting to learn the preference in popularity of one style hull over another; although it's my guess that Remington STS/Nitro leads the pack by a wide margin.

all the best....mike

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Winchester is offering rebates for the same reason they did last year and the year before that and the year before that. You offer your product with a rebate that reduces the overall cost, and you will sell more.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

DOH!!! a shotgun primer is a pistol primer inserted in another cup to make it fit a shotgun shell. Take a good look at a shotgun primer a really close look!!!

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I picked up a sleeve at Beikirch's in Rochester NY last weekend. I was told they did not have them in stock for sometime.

They also had 700x and Premo. No lead and no Universal Clays that I wanted.

The only ammo they had was Kent 1oz shells for $64 something a case.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use Federals or Fiocchis to subistute for Win. or Rem. Been doing it for years with great results. Consult your reloading manuals for diff in powder drops. Seems to be ample supplys in N W Ohio.
    Clyde

12. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

The federal primer is not a substitute for a Win 209. The powder charge would need to be adjusted downward.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

... and by offering a rebate and not an across the board price reduction, the bean counters know that only a segment of the purchasers will actually redeem their rebates properly... limiting the downside.

Jay

14. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have 25000+ in stock but I had a hard time finding them.

15. Thevalueman

Thevalueman TS Member

Midway has them at $233 per 5k, which is all they will sell you.
    :)ROcky

16. fordtough

fordtough Member

dean bright has them at wholesale in iowa

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Nebs,
    Thats what I said. Adjust your powder drops according to your reloading manual.
    1oldtimer

18. superx62

superx62 Member

Try grafsreloading.com Its in Stcharles mo # 636-946-7468 Worth a shot... Rich

19. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

A local sporting goods consingment auction had 3 x 5000 primer sleeves.
    They went for $40.00 per thousand......Yikes!!

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

55,000 just arrived at my gun club this week (5/10/13) from our distributor so there are some out there. The price went up by about 8% so our out the door price for club members is $43/K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

win 209 primers buckshot