1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win. 209 Primers for STS???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I recently purchased some Winchester 209 primers as my standby Remingtons were not available. While the Winchesters will seat ok in an STS hull that has been reloaded several times, they will not seat properly in a newer, once-fired STS hull. Also, the Winchester primer seems to be a bit longer than the Remington 209. Is there a fix or are the Winchesters basically incompatible with the newer STS hulls? I use a PW 800 Plus, and have attempted to adjust it slightly to seat the primer deeper, but with little success..I don't want to over-do it on this adjustment as I suspect doing so will cause other issues. As it is now, about 1/2 are pretty much fully seated, and the other 1/2 aren't.

Suggestions?

WNCRob

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

The edges of the remington primer are rounded and seat into the rounded cavity of the STS and other remington hulls. Nearly all other brands are square. The PX will not seat them all of the way in, but the will function fine even with that small raised edge. The first firing will seat the primer and square off the internal cavity of the STS and they will seat well in the future. I have fired several thousand PW loaded gun clubs and STS's with no problem.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Didn't know that a Winchester primer wouldn't work well in a Remington hull.'

I guess I'll have to point that out to a good friend of mine who has been using Winchester primers in Remington STS hulls for the last 5 years............And I've never heard him say a thing about it.

They should work...........

Hauxfan!

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have used AA primer in STS hulls for years and never had a problem. Sounds like user error. Fred

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've used WW, Fio. 616, Cheddite, and Federial in STS hulls. The only ones that I've found that slip in without any seating problems on once fired STS hulls is the Fio. 616.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

+1 on fssberson's comments. I have been using Win 209 primers and STS hulls for many years, and have yet to have any problems in seating the primers. Have used different reloaders (Horndys originally, and now Mec 9000E (auto-mate). Whether once-fired, or many times reloaded, primers seated just fine.

7. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Much agree--there should be no problem with Win. in Sts hulls.

Trap-4

8. AlanM

AlanM Member

I have found the same problem using a RCBS loader on once fired STS, but after that no problem.

Alan

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's NOT a "user error". Remington 209P primers are just a little shorter and more rounded on the nose than Winchester W209's. You can force a Winchester primer into the pocket on an STS hull (stretches the plastic) but Remington primers fit a lot better. BTW, once you've forced a Win primer into the pocket, after that.......Rem primers will fit too loose.

John C. Saubak

10. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I have had the same problem with Win primers in once fred STS hulls. I am using a MEC grabber. I have quit using Win primers.

Jim

11. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Boy this is weird, I go back and forth with win, and rem primers in sts hulls and load a lot and have never experiensed a problem.

Trap-4

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Although I use a Mec, I had to adjust the seating pressure station with Cheddite primers and Remington hulls. Just a bit more pressure solved the problem immediately and then Winchester primers also worked without a hitch as well.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

This is my biggest gripe against Remington. Remington primers and Rem hull primer pockets are shaped differently from the rest as mentioned. Obviously Rem has done this deliberately to entice one to use their primers. It isn't operator error. If I adjust my PW to seat a Win type primer a little deeper on a Rem hull it makes the base concave and the primer still won't be seated properly. So some of the hulls have to be "fire formed" before the primer seats. While I'm bitchin how many years have Rem Handicap shells been labled "New, Softer Recoil."

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have used Win primers in STS 12 ga. hulls for the past few years and have not had any problems as described above; this has not been the case with STS 20 ga. hulls. Frequently, a lot of force is needed to seat Win primers in 20 ga STS (and some older RXP once fired) hulls. I have gone back to Rem STS primers for 20 ga. Best Regards, Ed

15. Jim Graham

Jim Graham TS Member

In the past few years I have loaded over 50,000 sts hulls using Winchester primers. I have had no problems whatsoever. Occasionally I run a few Winchester AA hulls through the same machines & the primers do seat somewhat deeper. I think the problems experienced by some reloaders is due to the adjustment of the primer seater.

I load on 2 Hornady 366's, a PW800B, & a Mec Sizemaster. I use the Sizemaster for Federal paper loads only. None of these machines have ever had a problem with Winchester primers seating properly. I have never made any adjustment to the primer seater on any of these machines.

When loading the Fed. papers I use Fed. primers, however, I have loaded a few Rem. Nitros on the same machine with Winchester primers & they seat perfectly.

The Hornady machines are set up for STS hulls from the factory. Not sure about the Mecs.

Jim

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jim, I've only loaded on a PW. Do your other presses have anything that pushes against the inside of the primer pocket as the primer is inserted?

17. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

MECs do in fact have a tube that pushes down on the inside if the basewad in a manner that seats the brands of primers better than a PW in Rem hulls. PW's support the case by the rim and can sometimes bend the metal base before the plastic deforms. I have used PW 800B and Plus as well as MEC 9000 and sizemaster/steelmaster and have seen the difference in seating. Now I just tolerate the small amount of non-seating, fire them one time and never worry about it.

There was a thread here or on SGW awhile back that described drilling the primer pocket with a specific sized bit to square it off. Seamed like too much work for what is really a non-problem.

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Most of the recipes in the Alliant Powder reloading guides use Remington primers for STS hulls and Winchester primers for AA hulls. Years ago I bought some Remington primers just to use in once fired STS hulls and used Win209's after the first reload. I have adjusted my PW900 loader primer seating station just enough so that the primers will seat. I now load only AA hulls because in Western Canada the STS hulls are hard to come by meaning very pricey for new factory loads.

19. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Same issue here, with Win 209 primers in Remington STS and Nitro gold hulls, using a PW 800B loader on the first loading of once fired hulls. I've since switched to Remington primers and like finished product, better. If a loaded shell is placed on a flat surface, it shouldn't wobble because the primer is slightly protruding, I'd think.

Price being a moot point, it's worth the wait if Remington primers are in short supply. I call my order into CAC and they always have the needed supplies, or will have them shortly. mike

20. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Well, obviously some of us have observed issues when trying to use Winchester Primers on once-fired STS hulls...so, lets measure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

209 primer not fitting in hull

209sts

777 vs sts 209 primers

best primers for rem sts

loose primer in remington sts hulls

swap winchester 209 primers for remington sts primers

swap winchester 209 primers for sts primers

winchester 209 primers and remington sts hulls