1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win 209 primers and sts hulls

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Grayson Mayne, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Any one experiencing any problems with (current production) Win 209 primers and Rem STS hulls. Had a shooter tell me today that he could not get Win 209 primers to seat in Rem STS hulls. Just wondering as I was planing on buying 10,000 WIN 209'S to use in STS hulls. I have always use Rem 209's but they have about priced themselves out of the market. If Win 209's will not work what do you recommend?

All information and responses appreciated. Thank you. Stormdog

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Too big, too small, too long? Chedites work fine. HMB

3. Gil

Gil Member

Grayson, I have loaded about 10,000 winchestersd in Remington hulls without problem. I have a Spolar and substituted Winchester primers for Remingtons as I cannot find any Remingtons. Check your powder manufacture's web site to be sure your load is safe. George Miller

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

win 209's work well in AA's and STS. It could be that he is using hulls that had rio or other metric primers in them previously. Can't go back to 209's after using the bigger ones. Bill

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use them no problem in the 12 gauge.

Buuuuuuuuuuut.............the .410 is quite another matter. I had to give my STS .410's to a pal with a 600 Jr. so he could prime my shells. Mec had a kit with an extra clamp but even that didn't work. Plus they charged me 14 bucks.

HM

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The only thing I have found is the primers will stand a little proud the first time, after that they will seat fine.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Remington primers are shorter and more rounded at the nose than Winchesters and Remington moulds the primer pockets in their hulls to fit their primers. You can force Winchester primers in but they won't fit very well.