1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win 101 locking bolt rebuild

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lou22, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou22

Lou22 TS Member

Posted this over at Shotgunworld recently, and thought I'd put it out here for opinions:

"Just got my Winchester 101 back from the gunsmith. It's a Pigeon Grade, early to mid 80's Japanese gun in very good condition. The gun was and is still quite tight, but the reason for sending it in was to open the chokes up from full/imp.mod to lt.mod/mod and to correct a top lever that was bottomed out. There was no indication of anything loose or rattling at all, just preventative maintenance to avoid any undue stresses on the gun. The top lever spring was replaced at that time, of course.

After getting the gun back 2 weeks ago, I've only put approx 400 rounds through it (7/8oz, 1200 fps handloads) over 2 outings, and the lever has moved quite a bit towards center already. The lever moved a fair bit yesterday after letting my shooting partner take a few shots (4 shells!) with his factory Win Super Target 1 1/8oz loads. I was pretty surprised at that, to say the least. When I took it in, the lever was past center to the left, got it back and it was at approx 5 o'clock. After those 4 shots, it's now closer to 6:00. The gun works flawlessly and the choke work has done wonders. There is even the perfect "tick" (as per Doug Braker, aka GunDr) between the bolt and lugs when the lever is opened.

My question is this: Is this normal? Should the locking bolt / lever have moved that much that quickly?

I know there are variances from gun to gun as to lever position. I know that top lever position is an indicator of wear, but not to be taken as the only one. I've read of many new guns that went from the top lever being well right of center out of the box to being centered (or just right of) very quickly, and then stayed there for years, as this is where the locking bolt and barrel lugs seated in together. The work was done by a very reputable gunsmith - before I call him (because I'm not sure that anything is truly wrong), I thought I would see what others have experienced with his first. Also - I use a touch of Tri Flow oil on the barrel flats, hinge pin, etc and a thin film of Super Lube synthetic grease on the bolt and lugs.

Have any of you seen or experienced this after a rebuild, or with a new gun for that matter?"

BTW - I did call the smith on Tuesday, and here is the response (and my reply post):

"Spoke the gunsmith today.....After thanking him for a nice job, I asked about the lever position / movement. He said that it was quite normal for this to happen, and the larger loads would have set the bolt in to where it wanted to be. He asked a few questions regarding closing methods (slamming, etc) and reinforced the fact that one does not put a thumb on the lever, just a firm close works best. He also stated that if there were any operational issues with the gun that concerned me, that I was to bring it back as he stands behind anything he does.

So.....off to increase the round count, and see what happens. Still wondering if anyone else has seen this..."

Again, functionality is not an issue, just the lever essentially back where it was is making me wonder...With the barrel off and the lever released from the locked right position, there's virtually no difference in position from when the barrels are on. Opinions?

Thanks,
    Lou.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's an operational issue that concerns you, send it in. Did Doug work on it? I had him do the locking bolt on my superposed and its well right of center. Rule of thumb with Perazzi's I believe, is touching the wood is an 'as new rebuild...

3. Lou22

Lou22 TS Member

Sorry for the confusion - I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Doug Braker did not work on this gun - I was referring to some of the great information he's given out on posts I've read.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Then give doug a call. Ask him about it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

top lever spring on a win 101

winchester 101 hinge pin rebuild
winchester 101 lever position
winchester 101 locking lugs