1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will your Widow know what your guns are worth???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bocephas, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I know of a couple of widows that have no idea what their late husbands guns are worth.If I go first,the wife knows what most of my guns are worth.I keep no secrets from her.

For some, you have to think about the young guy moving in and waxing his new car with your undershorts that most likely your money bought.

Bocephas

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

The ones i have in storage i have a note with a price. The ones i keep out and use and carry.. She knows what they are worth. Secrets??? whats that>? HEHEHE

WesleyB

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If you have a large collection, you may want to look at the NRA Foundation. You may also be able to reduce your estate and save on taxes.*

*This is not to be construed as legal or tax advice. You should consult your legal and tax advisor regarding these matters.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My wife is cool like that, she knows, and pushes me to get the one I really want but I'm the one that pays the bill and know where to draw the line.

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Dosent matter my 2 sons will have them at their houses as soon as the dust settles,and thats OK with me.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have a list in my safe with the Approximate values of my collection for any heirs to review....

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I told my wife to not even think about selling any of my guns for what I said I paid for them, not that it matters ... She is smart and will not be taken thats for sure ... I told my wife that in place of the gun safe she can put an Escalade in the closet ... She has not asked if I plan on leaving soon or not, told you she was smart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep!!

Curt

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Got no wife (thank g-d) so no problems in that department. My guns will go to my son at the appropriate time.

Eric

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Pictures of every one and a close up of the serial #'s, all in a nice book wife and I made up. Reciept of purchase attached to each picture. I was just updating the book today and noticed I paid $163.00 for my brand new Smith & Wesson Mod. 29 8 3/8" .44 mag. in 1973. Shot very little, still in the cardboard covering that covers the nice wood presentation case.

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My wife is a shooter, former military marksman, and hangs out at gun clubs. The good news is she will probably know fair market value if something happens to me. The BAD news is I can't B.S. her about what I paid for a gun. (LOL)

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I helped sell off a small collection for a friends widow, she had no idea of the value or were to look to find it. Since that time I have updated the value for my guns every two years along with pictures and a book on used gun values.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I know what his trap guns are worth. Martin has a nice collection of guns, and I am sure that his son will want them. He would probably want Leo to have one for memories.

14. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

The ones I add now I cary for a while then Tag em as to what I paid when I paid it, that will be a bit less work for the auctioneer that gets to settle the estate.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahaha ... how many guys lie to their wife about waht they paid for a gun?

You know.."Look Honey! I just got this K80 for only $500!"

At most of the gun clubs that i belog to...the membership advises the widow NOT to sell the guns until one of the members ...who has knowlege of gun values...has a chance to tag each gun with a fair market value!

This happened to a shooting buddy that lives on my block..One guy went and made a list of every gun, condition and price for her, he also took a copy back to the next shoot. Every gun except a hi hall 32-20 was sold that day! She asked me about the final gun and what to do, I told her a couple of places to advertzie it, and it was sold in 3 days.

Every club should have this policy.

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

In my will I have a trusted friend specified to sell my gun collection.

He and I know the values as I have them all listed. For his troubles he gets right of first refusal of anything he wants and gets a small percentage of all revenues generated by my collection.

I don't want to saddle my wife with that task and besides she is way too trusting.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm having an oversized casket made and I'm taking them with me.

I don't want Shootlow to get hold of them.

I know he doesn't like to do manual labor, so I know he won't be digging me up........lol

Hauxfan!

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hope that you won't have to worry about anything other than being a Widower, problem solved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Haux, can you line your casket with shot in case I ever find it? You need a lead-lined one anyway.

20. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Wife has access to file listing all owned guns and fairly current value. Also knows blue book and trapshooters.com. But best of all is smart enough to go to trusted friends who share the same hobbies and values.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.