1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Buy GM?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Unsingle, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I’m just curious if people will continue to buy General Motor cars after what has happened? If you have been a GM buyer for a long time, will you continue to buy their vehicles? If not, what will you buy? The whole process is sort of a moot point if people won't buy their cars. I haven’t heard anything on the news about this. A sad time in our history. I remember growing up, I couldn’t wait to get a GM muscle car.

2. bocephus

bocephus Member

I doubt we will have a choice in the not too distant future.....

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

An almost 50 year customer;NO

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

No, I just bought a Ford the comparable GM just not near as nice.

5. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

NO, my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L with only 186,000 is in excellent shape and paid for. It gets 20MPG on long trips and 17 puttering around town. I can by lots of gas with what a new(any new)car will cost. When gas gets to $4, I'll stop going on long trips and putter around town in my golf cart!

6. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Yes they will. If the price is right they will sell like nothing ever happened to GM.

Joe

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I bought A new Chevy pickup truck last Dec . Had I knowen I would not have bought but I did . Now my wife is after me to trade for a Ford . (I may)

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have no plans to replace my current SUV (Infiniti) but if I had to, it would not be a GM vehicle. Just heard the Secretary of Transportation say that the new GM (Government Motors) will start buidling cars that "Americans want" and when this started happening, people would buy them. He obviously simply does not understand what GMs (as well as Chrysler and Ford) real problem were and are. As long as these auto companies are saddled with the humonguous UAW costs (and this is not changing under Obamas plans), they simply cannot build and sell a competitive vehicle with Toyota and Honda (those built in the U.S. with non-union (read cheaper) labor. Saddling these companies with unrealistic and arbitrary CAFE standards directed by the government will not make the cars more saleable or cheaper. He, like others, points to the Europeans as a "good example" but European governments do not set CAFE standards for cars. The price of gas drives the making of and sale of cars in Europe (I have lived there). They buy small cars because the cost of gas is so high. But those who can afford it (and a few I knew who really could not) buy larger cars if they have enough money to buy the gas. Most Europeans I knew would dearly have loved to afford a larger car if they could afford the gas.

As for what "Americans want", I would note that when gas hit over $4.00 a gallon last year, Toyota sold a lot of Prius hybrids. Could not keep them in stock. When gas prices dropped, sales of the Prius (and other small cars) dropped off the edge. Drove by a large Toyota dealer the other day, and he had 60 Prius hybrids on the lot. Was offering all kinds of discounts to try to move them (and this in an extremely liberal city of greenies). Obviously (though not, apparently to our government) people do not want these little cars if they have any real choice. Of course, the government will do its best to take any choice away.

Jim R

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

No way, no how would I buy a GM or a Chrysler product. In the process of buying a new vehicle now. Won't even go look at a GM product.

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

ford all the way and thanks to whats happened i have people looking at buying my f250

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got close to buying a GM car for my wife in ( Buick Lucerne) 2007, it was really the same care as our old 1997 Lumina. The sales person & the local dealer was such a turn off, we bailed. Got her a new Hyundai Azera. Zero problems & got 7 years & 75k still left on the warranty. Detroit or whats left of it needs to get inovative or they will still be out of luck.

Phil Berkowitz

12. msmith

msmith Member

I was shoping yesterday for a new Silverado to replace the 2005 silverado I have. I do not need a new truck but I thought if I could get a good deal , I would do it. I was in shock! The month of may had a larger rebate/ discount than in June. I ended up not buying a new truck. I really thought ther would be a larger incentive than what is out there. Mike

13. Damifino

Damifino Member

To purchase of a GM vehicle is an endorsment of Obamanomics. I'll vote for free enterprise.

14. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

No, the 2001 impala was a lemon, and they did nothing, screw them. Love my ford, toyota

15. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I have a new Toyota in the driveway. That's my first non-US car in 30 years. Govt. Motors -- no thanks!

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

NO. I will never even consider a GM or a Chrysler now that Obama is running them. I hope Government Motors never again makes a profit. I will buy a Ford my next car unless they are taken over by the government too. Then I will buy a Japanese car. I don't want to support the communists in my country. Today I heard about Chavez admiring Obama and his take over of GM. He said that Obama is to the left of himself and Castro. I never thought we would have a president to the left of Castro and that he would run General Motors. We are in a race to the bottom.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I quit buying GM back in 1980, never again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. skeet100

skeet100 Member

no

never again

19. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

20. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Highflyer - I'm in total agreement with you. I too will buy Fords, but if they fail, then a Japanese vehicle.

If the comments above are indicative of America, then GM should be filing Chapter 7, liquidation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.