1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you buy a usd K-80 without inspection period?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by rcclee, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcclee

rcclee Member

0   0   0

Hi Guys,

I am new to Trap Shooting. From talking to a lot of friends and club members, they all suggest me to get a high grade gun to start with. I saw an auction from Gunbroker.com on a used K-80 combo set for $12K. I called the seller and asked if he allows 3 days inspection period, he said no and told me to trust him and check his feedbacks (80 positive feedbacks).

When I checked his feedbacks, all the items he sold was not available on GB.com anymore. I thought 3-days inspection period was pretty standard when you buy a used gun... is that not true? Furthermore, $12K is a lot of money to just "trust" someone you don't know...

Since I am new to this sport, can you guys please let me know your thoughts? Will you buy a used high end gun from a seller who does not allow inspection period?

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions

Regards,

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Short answer- No. Unless the price is low enough that you can still afford to have ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that could possibly be wrong corrected, I'd pass. 3 days is pretty much standard on used guns, and I'd be leery of anyone who won't work with you for some sort of inspection period.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

BTW, $12k for a used combo is pretty high if its a std grade k80.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

One of the advantages of buying a used gun is being able to shoot it before you buy it. This way you can find a gun that breaks targets and is user friendly. HMB

5. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

There are 2 sides to giving a 3-day inspection period on a gun bought over the internet.

I'm inclined to give the prospective buyer the opportunity to shoot a couple of rounds thru the gun (not his buddies who'd shoot it all week-end if given the chance)and ask that he use new ammo. If it isn't to his liking he can return it, at his expense, for a refund if, and only if, it's in the same conditon as it was sent. That means it's clean - especailly if it's an auto-loader. Everything that was shipped is returned and in the conditon it was sent. The gun got a ding on the gun rack while you had it at the range -- don't bother sending it back. Your D-Class 3rd R/U belt buckle scratched it -- don't bother. You may laugh but no modifications and please don't try to switch trigger groups on a Perazzi.

And remember, since the gun was registered in your name before it left your dealer, you have to send it back to my dealer at your expense.

Basically you should be able to tell if it's an honest deal when you open the packing -- check it carefully.

6. copper

copper Member

0   0   0

As said would have to be awfull cheap gun could have been in flood or shot to death and put up wet NO NO on a high priced gun lots of guns for sale

7. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

0   0   0

If I were spending $12M on a used gun, I think a plane ticket would be the thing to do. That's a pretty expensive gamble especially when the seller has no current GB "Feedback".

John Semprini

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

One the price is way to high for that gun. There is a 3 day inspection on any gun as far as I'm concerned. If he said no that is like going to a car lot and asking is I can test drive a car and or if I can take the car to a shop and have them look it over and be told no on both. I see red flags all over the gun. Walk away and go to large shoot and look those guns over.

If a high price gun is what you want then go for it. When I started I started off with a 870. I later bought a trap barrel for it. I then was loaned a BT-99. He later wanted it back so I bought a Browning Broadway Trap. In time I bought a Rottweil and I have had that gun for close to 30 years. Dive in or take small steps till you know if your going to say in the game.

Go to shoots and look at the ones for sale on the gun racks. Look at what the gun dealers and gunsmiths have for sale. They are out there and you just need to do your homework on prices.

Let us know how you do. Good luck.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

When selling used guns, I will allow a potential buyer (if local) to tag along with me to the range to shoot the gun several times (if I know he isn't a tire kicker). I won't allow him to shoot a full round of trap/skeet/sporting clays because for all I know, he wants to shoot my gun as a "demo" before he goes off and buys the same gun from somewhere else. F%^& that! I have seen a few stories on here about sellers being burned like that. It's a waste of a seller's time.

Otherwise I don't allow a "firing inspection" from a buyer non-local to me and I will require he inspect the gun at his dealer once it is delivered. How do I know he won't use reloads that will go kaboom? Or use Russian import Wolf crap ammo that tears up the internals?

When buying used guns, it's caveat emptor and there are no "rules" governering how long a buyer has to inspect a used gun. It's used, parts are worn. A part may break when you first shoot it or it may break 20,000 rounds later. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk or not.

10. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

0   0   0

12,000 IS TOO MUCH FOR A USED STD K-80!!
    You say that you are new to the sport. I would shoot several guns (most guys at a club will allow you to shoot a few rounds with their gun) until I found one I really liked. Then look for that gun. If you are just starting out, I would hate to see anyone drop that kind of coins on a gun only to find out they don't like it.

3 day inspection is almost always standard.

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Short answer: NO. Now if your heart is set on it. You can ask for the Serial number then call Krieghoff International to see if there has been service on it lately. Or ask if it has been serviced and by whom. Dave T.

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

In addition to all the comments, your Trap "friends" are morons! Given that you have the financial means for a high-end gun, that does NOT mean that you need to start with one. These guns are very specialized, very expensive and require a certain level of experience to make them perform. Think of giving a 600HP Ferarri to a 16yr old, it don't work. For a new shooter, there are several great lower price options that will provide you with plenty of room to grow and then sell without talking much of a $$$ hit to upgrade to a high-end gun. Take a look at the Joel Etchen Beretta 687 combos or the Guns Unlimited Browning XT Combos. Both are well worth the money and will serve you well until you are ready for a high-end gun.

Second, after you decide that a high end gun is the way to go, you NEED to shoot them before spending any money. I can not stress this point enough as it will save you a lot of time and money. They are NOT the same and don't all work for all shooters. You will favor one over the other and you need to find that. Looking at pictures, I was dying for a K80, but when I had the chance to shoot one, it simply did not work for me. Works for a lot of people, but not me. So I ended up with Perazzi and I love it. So you need to try and shoot and see what works for YOU!

13. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

0   0   0

I almost purchased a barrel from someone that has it advertised on this site, and when I asked him for a 3 day inspection he informed me "NO" was his answer, so I passed on the deal and it happened to be on a Kreighoff barrel that is still on this site as I write this info to you. The general rule and appropriate way to deal is with an inspection as mentioned on this thread by some of the others that wrote to you. There are too many things than can go wrong without this practice. I am a small licensed dealer and have sold many items on this site over the past year and have had not one complaint from anyone that purchased an item from me. I actually recently purchased a barrel from someone on this site and it could not be fitted properly to my receiver and I returned it without any problems. Everyone that I have dealt with have really been professional in their way of selling and buying. Don't make any mistakes! Good luck with all and any of your purchases.

TRW369

14. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

3 day Inspection...or 3 Day Test Drive... GunBroker has Rule that ALL guns have 3 Day Inspection at POINT of DELIVERY @ RECIEVING FFL DEALER...Inspection BEFORE Transfer to New Owner.
    If Current Seller has 80 Feedback Sales...that are Listed as Not Available..is because they have been Sold..Check the Feedback Section for His Rating.
    Test Drive...There are Dealers that Offer this kind of Sale...They Hold your Money ...If Gun is Returned in Same Condition..Money Returned less Fees for Shipping.
    As Suggested above..A Newbe Shooter may want to move slowly on High Priced Gun set...Attend some of the Larger Shoots..Lot's of Guns to look at, and Test Shoot if that's what your looking to do, Good Luck, Shoot well...Shoot Often, Bart

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have sold many guns on TSs and GBs and will offer a 3 day inspection---When I sell a trap gun I am concerned about a shoot clause because they could put 500 or more rds through it in 3 days---When buying on TSs you can tell the type of person your dealing with most of the time.If he only has a 80% pos feedback I'd be weary---That means he has 20% problems.I would take the advice of trying out different guns if just getting started---I shoot K-guns and mod 12s and love them but others may not---GL---George@SJB

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

"GunBroker has Rule that ALL guns have 3 Day Inspection at POINT of DELIVERY @ RECIEVING FFL DEALER...Inspection BEFORE Transfer to New Owner."

I doubt Gunbroker has such a rule, since it does not reference this "rule" in their FAQ. When someone sells something, firearm or non-firearm, they have the option to select "AS IS - No refund or exchange" in the Inspection Period / Return Policy area. This is what Gunbroker falls back on when there is a dispute between a seller and a buyer on a potential return of item by the buyer to the seller, no matter what is implied or communicated between the seller and buyer. It clearly states this when you are filling out the form to sell an item.

I have used the "AS IS - No refund or exchange" when selling a few guns on Gunbroker. I was not required to give a 3day inspection period....or any inspection period. All of my sales went through without fuss.

17. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Serv99, I Stand Corrected...It's Guns International that states in there Sale Rules about 3 day Return...NO FIRE Inspection, Thanks for the Correction, Bart

18. B²

0   0   0

Dear Mr. Lee, There are 80 (8 pages)of perfect ratings on GB if you take the time to look. This gun is in like new condition and if you'd like to come for a visit from California, I'd be happy to let you take the gun out and shoot it. If you want confirmation on the condition of this gun, please contact Phillip Baker, who runs Indiana Gun Club. He is familiar with the gun and can verify its condition. I'm sorry, but I don't like sending my guns out for insptections. I've sold many high-grade guns and a couple of Mercedes online sight unseen. I've had no bad feedback from either Ebay or Gun Broker. Thanks for your time.

19. George Rezabek

George Rezabek TS Member

0   0   0

For what it is worth, I know the seller. He is honest and reputable. The gun is in perfect condition. The owner is located in Indiana. This seller is not a slug. I rarely post here, but I do use my real name. Good luck with your search.

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

1. Inspections are to confirm that condition is as represented.
    2. There is NO guarantee that you can hit anything with it.
    3. They will ALL break targets
    4. If you can't hit anything with it, it prabably doesn't fit you, but stock dimensions are not cast in stone, so can be made to fit you.
    5. Weight and balance are another issue, so try one before plunking down 12K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.