1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this work ? ! !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a new gun that has pretty nice ( not exibition ) piece of wood. Good grain and contrast but not knock your socks off impressive. A friend of mine says he has put some of his stocks out in the sun from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and the contrast(s) increase. The stock I have has an oil finish, not polyurethane. He didn't say how often or how many days he did this.
    What do you think ? Will this simply wash out/dry the wood, make the grain and contrast stand out more, or have no affect ?

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Over the past 40 years, I have traded Remington 870 trap stocks and forearm wood at my local gun club. I am left handed, and the the owner of the club allows me to take left handed cast wood off his rental guns and replace it with right hand cast wood. On each stock and forearm he will have a patch of yellow tape size 4" by 4" on the stock and forearm. When I take the tape off the wood, the wood underneath the tape is always a lot darker than the uncovered wood that is exposed to the sun. I would recommend to place very narrow strips of tape on the stock from the recoil pad towards the pistol grip and leave it out in the sun for a couple weeks. Make sure the tape does not take off the finish. The gun club owner uses something that feels like an electrical tape. This should do what you are looking for. It can't hurt, should cost you less than $5.00.
    Steve Balistreri

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

No, this can only dry out and bleach out your stock. It will not enhance the grain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.