1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will This Work For the ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Target Registering available at any ATA Gun Club Anyday of the week?

OK It's a nice evening on a Monday or any day of the week and you want to register your targets, So you tell the Club Manager I want to register 50 targets this evening, He stamps your entry from your Plastic ATA card and collects the ATA Fees 50% of the normal 100 bird fees, score keeper records your targets abd club sends in the results, you record your scores on your card w/place/date etc. The club is hoping more of your buddies want to do the same.

This is somewhat like the Big 50 only available any time the club is open so shooters can get in their scores and not earn any yardage.

You could call it ANYTIME REGISTERED SHOOTING.

This would help the average working man manage around family to get TARGETS in.

Plus it helps the club have TARGETS IN THE AIR.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

Let me know when the logistics are worked out.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Why not implement a turnkey-op to allow target-only opportunities? Allow on-demand target-only shoots with the caveat of a required fax/email notification within 24 hours of the "event" to the State TA for documentation.

I understand the premise of advance requests and RSVP of shoots dates... but a handful of ATA members who want to register mid-week, on the spur of the moment, aren't going to XYZ Club for their weekend event anyway... and further, let clubs do it on weekends too... if an area trophy shoot is that great, it will draw regardless.

My maternal Grandpa, in speaking with my Dad in 1961, once shared a bit of advice, when my Father was considering a change of career... "a smart man will always listen to a new idea..." (no offense to the ladies...)

Our Club, for the first time, is adding registering of targets to our upcoming singles league... an economical way to add 100s of targets for a package fee... we're shooting the league regardless, lets get ATA credit for it!

Good idea Doc...

Jay

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

"Getting your targets in" is not as important as it used to be. Most local clubs put more targets in the air now without ATA registered birds. Less hassle, less expense, no turning away of regular weekend guys at registered shoots.

The ATA abandoned the backbone of the sport, now the sport has abandoned the ATA. The ATA's epitaph should be "Let them make bricks without straw".

5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Sometimes, DrLongshot, I shake my head at your posts.

But, this time, you have a good idea. The only catch, aside from the ATA Rule requiring X number of shooters for an event, is the scorer. My Club, the Dollar, pays its help and that could be the deal killer. For example, Joe shows up at 3PM, wants to shoot registered, but the scorer, who handled the singles and caps starting at 10 is done for the day. Have to scramble to find another and pay him/her. Otherwise, I'd be happy if I could turn my practice targets into registered ones.

Gapper, I don't quite follow you on the "ATA abandoned the backbone of the sport...," since it is up to the Club whether or not they choose to throw registered targets or not. The relatively minor fees and the requirement to report the results seems no big deal.

The Dollar has practice and registered every day (assuming there are sufficient shooters for an event). Any club could do the same.

Again, I don't see what the beef with the ATA is about in your post. Would you please explain it in more detail?

Bob

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Bob, if it's no big deal, and if were profitable for the clubs to throw MORE registered birds, at more opportunities, they would do so. The clubs across the nation are throwing LESS registered birds, and there are fewer oppportunities to register targets. This is the idea of Dr. Longshot's post. It's not a bad idea but . . . . I think the sport is better served by identifying the real problem. I have no "beef" with the ATA members, but the people running the organization are heading down a one way street - and almost everyone sees it and has figured out what's behind it. I don't want to hi-jack Gary's thread or turn it into a wizzing-match, so I gave my two-cents worth. Easy enough. GAP

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

Think its already been done. and the shooters involved got so good they didnt even shoot they juzt turned in scores

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Sounds like the answer to a sandbaggers dreams?

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@missed none!! Say it ain't so, say it ain't so!!

I heard a tale concerning some one breaking a terrific series of registered doubles scores and didn't have to fire a shot!! Records are made to be broken, how is beside the point in some peoples mind.

Hap

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sandbaggers delight. The final nail in the coffin. HMB

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Red Mountain T & S used to do that if you had a minimal amount of shooters, the shine wore off pretty fast ... There was nothing to shoot for other than getting in expensive practice there wasn't much demand ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thanks gapper.

As to the sandbaggers and cheaters, I guess I thought most shooters were relatively honest. I have heard the stories of some of the cheaters allegedly from the small clubs in the State that is often associated with sandbagging.

On the other hand, to cheat and shoot a great score on paper would require the collusion of the scorer. I guess that could happen at a small club where one's buddy scores. Less likely at one where a club employee scores.

As to the baggers, they don't need to be alone to bag, they can just miss regardless of how many other shooters there are.

Oh well, DrLongshot, back to the drawing board!

Bob

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't have a dog in this fight, one way or the other, however...I would point out that to get a yard off, a sandbagger currently has to travel a bit and attend a decent number of shoots.

On the other hand, if they take the bait, and do it rapidly and all at one club...I'd think that would greatly assist the ATA in identifying and applying "codes" to the known offenders.

I vote yes.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Hell put a hand thrower in your back yard and just mail in your scores, You don't even have to leave home.

Why don't you just take all the meaning out of regestered shooting.

Registered shooting might not be for everybody but you want to make it so, and take all meaning out of registered scores. Tell me how a score shot by yourself equals a score shot under the pressure of shooting against 50 or 100 other shooters???

You could cheat your butt off.

Another dumb idea from the dumb idea man.

Don

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Well it takes Guys Like Big Don to always give negative answers, when he should just ignore my posts like I have asked him to.

Positive side to this is the young new shooter w/a family to get his targets in and be able to spend the weekends w/his family.

I would think if word got out they would have 5 shooters who want to get targets in so they can shoot the big shoots w/o penalty.

What a wonderful way for new shooters to get their targets in and keep the Wife Happy.

Big Don Alzheimers comes in all forms, and as others have addressed You Should Help Support Other All Americans and not ruin, How many other All Americans come up w/issues as you do name 2 of them, you are #1.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Didn't someone try something like this with doubles? Can't remember the details.

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Where is that "definition" of registered shooting?! Based upon that premise toss the "minimum 3-shooter" rules and "targets-only" programs...

Jay

18. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

One of the clubs I shoot at (Lancaster OH) will put registered targets up for singles, doubles or hcp anytime they're open and you have at least three people to shoot. But those days and the BIG 50 Wednesdays and the ATA 100 every now and again are the only way for someone in central Ohio to get their targets in.

rm

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not a bad idea, IF..... you can get some participation????

The first screw up the ATA made (IMO) was to up the target requirements from 500

to 1000.

I could manage 500 but 1000 was about out of reach for me.

A few of my friends also agreed.

I used to be able to drive 35 Mi. or less for a registered shoot as there were shoots every weekend. Now, only one club left at that distance.

Regards....Gerald

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Will it work, I'm not sure. I'm surprised how so many like the idea. Guess I'm getting old, but I always looked at registered targets as a competition, not as just burning up shells to "get targets in".

Maybe it is tough to get targets in in parts of the country, I don't shoot many targets but that is because of time constraints, not for lack of shoots in the area. That's on me.

We have to preserve the competition side of the game, or there won't be a game, despite what many posters seem to feel.

Seems all we hear about is the "pro's" dominating, but I don't see that as really having much impact on the game for most of us at the local level. But many of these responses to that perceived problem are watering down the game and totally ignoring the other side of the equation, the dreaded S word that so many turn a blind eye toward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.