1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this work for a trap league?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I belong to a small trap club that has two fields. There is a bunch of great people that shoot twice a week in the mornings. They all shoot just for the fun of it. 98% of them don't shoot ATA and don't care to.

I want to try and start a trap league to make it more interesting. Since most of the people who will sign up for the league don't have an official ATA yardage assigned to them, I came up with the rules below. Do you think these rules will work. What would you change or do different? Thanks for any ideas.

PS - I have never shot in a trap league before and I'm not sure how they work.

- Every Wednesday Night Starting May 23rd to July 11th from 6:30 pm to 8:30pm (Dates subject to change upon approval)

- League will run for 8 weeks

- Your total score will be based on your best 6 weeks. You can miss 2 weeks and still have 6 scores counted.

- Each shooter will shoot two rounds of trap each week for a total of 50 points

- All shooters will shoot from the 23 yard line. Any shooter that scores 50 points (perfect score) during any one of the weeks will get 1 yard added the next week until a shooter reaches the 27 yard line.

- Scores and added yardage will be tracked and posted at the club house during the 8 weeks

- Costs will be a one time fee of $25.00 per shooter at time of sign ups. Each shooter will then be required to pay for the two rounds of trap each night at the normal club costs.

- Your one time fee of $25.00 will go into a pot to be divided by 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the league which is based on your 6 best weekly scores. Last place will receive their $25.00 entry fee back but must have at least 6 weekly scores counted.

- Any tie for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place will be shot off from your league assigned yardage.

- All regular range rules apply

2. Ertz

Ertz Member

If you want to hold a 16 yard league and use handicapped scores instead of yardage then check out the link above.

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

You should make it 25 at 16 yards and 25 at 23 yards. Then if you shoot a perfect 50 then you move back a yard at the handicap. Unless you shoot with alot of guys who shoot 50's from 16 yards.

4. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Chrome - Great idea! I will change the yardage to your suggestion.

Thanks to both Ertz and Catching chrome for give me ideas! Dwayne

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting in a Wednesday night trap league since 2004. We run the league for 7 weeks and have prizes for top gun, second place and we also give awards for the high team. All we do is charge a little more for the entry fee and that covers the cost of the awards.

We rotate the format of each league. One league we will have everyone shoot a 16 wobble and then shoot a progressive handicap (25 targets in each round). The next league we will have a 20 yard straight and a team handicap (the average of the team could place them on the 27 depending on the score). The next league could be a 20 yard straight and a long progressive (start at the 23 yard line and move back 1 yard each shot). Then we might throw in a 20 yard wobble and a team handicap. We like to mix it up so everyone has a chance to have good scores.

I'm the scorekeeper, and I keep all the records. We are currently shooting in our 43rd league since Spring of 2004. Good luck, and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Kevin

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Split the pay out 50%-30%-20% split 60% -40% on position. Pay top two shooters, middle two shooters and bottom two shooters. This makes it farer to all in the league. We do this with our leaagues and it makes everyone happy.

7. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i shoot in a travel league - $6 sign up ,$10 for fifty birds ,$1 for lewis(optional) and we get a nice buffet banquet and everyone gets a door prize
    team trophys - high club shooter - sr. vet ,vet ,jr , sub jr, ladies(if we have 3 or more)

lots of fun - we shoot about every other weekend for 10 shoots

kevin

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The most important thing is food. Make sure you pick up some steaks to throw on the barbeque and some fresh bread to make sandwiches. HMB

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest NOT using a handicapped scoring system. Most of them simply calculate each shooter's handicap by a running average of their scores. All a shooter has to do is enter two intentionally horrible scores and they are assured a high handicap for the duration of the league.

I ran a winter league for 13 years and we started with handicapped scoring except that I only used the running averages for the first three shoots. I used each shooter's highest three scores for the fourth shoot handicap and from there on, the average of their last five scores with the highest and lowest scores discarded. That way, they can never win anything if they sandbag because they'll have to do it so often.

Which brings up another thought. If you do elect to use handicapped scoring, limit the high score with handicap to 47 or 48 so the good shooters don't loose interest, which happens when the max score with handicap is 49.

Ed

10. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

for several years, I have been using the free system at the link above to manage a 16 yard league that is handicapped by score. It works very well and gives shooters of all abilities a chance to win. If it favors anyone, it favors the novice shooter, which encourages new shooters.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've heard all about how handicapped scoring encourages new shooters but it doesn't actually add to shooter counts - at least, not for us. We lost a club and dropped to just under 90 shooters after having about 125 for many years. I wanted to replace the club but two of the four others asked that I instead return to handicapped scoring, as that would bring in the 20 or so new shooters we wanted while giving the four clubs more shoots and more income. Against my better judgement, I went along with the idea and we wound up with 86 shooters. We lost more good ones than we gained in beginners.

I closed the league seven years ago but it was restarted with four clubs and a handicapped scoring system. They have 85 shooters and many of the good ones they have are disgruntled and making noises about not shooting it nect year.

Ed

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We go for 15 weeks 3 times a year, and use a man against man point system like bowling.

Teams are moved back when they do well, and forward when they don't.

At the time of the last 2 weeks usually there are more than a couple teams who could win.

I would not consider another system.

HM

13. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

I think you are on the right track. I shoot in a trap league that has teams.
    Each shooter on the team has a handicap based on 80% of his previous weeks shooting. Ex: shooter 1 shot a 20,22 the week before, avg. is 21, 25-21=4, take the 4*.80=3.2 round to 3. This shooters handicap is 3. The next week in league this shooter is shooting aganinst another with a 5 handicap. In odrer to win his match he must beat the other shooter by 3 birds to win, if he only beats him by 2 it's a tie. This method keeps new shooters interested as they still have a chance to win points for their team. The guys with low handicap's are still challenged to keep shooting well to maintain their low handicaps.
    If you need more info PM me.
    Good Luck
    Grif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.