1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will This Gun/Chamber BLOW??? Picts.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Golden Beebe, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

What we have here is a standard Remington 3200 trap. As you can see in the pictures the bottom barrel has a rather odd gouge in the chamber. The pictures are somewhat misleading as it just looks like a scratch. I assure you that it is indeed a noticeable cut. I estimate this to be a minimum of .010" to .020".

This gun belongs to a long time shooter and dear friend. I'm/we are uncomfortable with this condition, thus I'm asking the wealth of knowledge here for opinions... LOL

Obviously this gun has held together, but is it a ticking time bomb?

I ask, as I have had a long conversation with Bruce Bowen in regards to the Kriegoff phenomena... We have had two K-guns let go on our range. I was there for both...

Thank you for your time...

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=100_2088.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=100_2089.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=100_2090.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Shoot it......You got another .250 worth of metal at a minimum. It's near the head of the shell.

If you still feel uncomfotable about it. Sell it to me, I'll go $800.00 on an dangerous condition such as that.

Let me know.

OB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Are you taking about the mark @ 6 o'clock on the bottom barrel (if your looking at the barrels with the rib @ the top)? Looks like a firing pin drag mark to me.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Without it being X-rayed and declared harmless I would condemn it.

5. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

I apologize for the pictures.

The area that I'm trying to show (Not Well) is a circular gouge/cut that runs from the ejector relief counter clockwise (as the pictures shows) to left of the chamber.

It truly looks like a tiny scratch, but again I assure you it is a DEEP cut!

6. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Skeet Man....

Agreed.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

No.. the ring is where the barrel and mono-block meet..

8. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Thanks MIKE!

I'm glad you took a look and noticed what I had seen...

To tell you what it actually looks like... (You have to picture this with me... LOL)

Looks like a dull boring bar cam out of a tool post and gouged the heck out of it...

9. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Your talking about this?
    [​IMG]

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes.. that 360 degree ring is machined into the mono-block.. The headspace is reamed into the monoblock.. not the barrel.. The barrel is a flatbacked tube that fits in the monoblock.. While the mono-block is being made..it ends the problem of cutting the barrel in the mono-block after its made.. If you look inside many barrels.. you'll see that line..just yours is a little easier to see..

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's one for the X-ray machine before I'd feel comfortable either shooting it or standing close to it. Looks like a stress crack to me!

Hap

12. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

GR Eubanks...

As in Rodger Eubanks the gunsmith? As in Gerald's son..? If so we know one and other...

Regardless the barrels are box stock and the extractor has not been replaced... on that subject; I don't understand how the extractor would have anything to do with it...?

Mr. Eubanks I appreciate your time, and if you wouldn't mind elaborating on this I would really appreciate it! Even a PM would be nice to catch up!

Matt

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Does it look like the ring in these mono-blocks?? Look in the mono-block in the receiver.. That ring you see.. is the shoulder the barrel rests on.. That's how its done.. and been done.. for a long time..

14. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

"abiezer"

YES!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Hap...

E-mail me Pal... I have something to send you. No not a 3200 barrel...LOL

15. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Dammit...

Okay, who can help me with taking better pictures?

I have a Kodac Z740

PM or e-mail me PLAESE!

16. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Mike...

Yes and no...

I just think it's in a VERY bad place.

On that note...Is there a good place? LOL

17. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Oh... and that Ti Cole.

Just impressive. What can I say? I just love seeing thos pictures!!!

We have what appears to be the same surface block... LOL

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It's behind the basewad of the shotgun shell..and is good.. high quality steel. With the plastic basewads of today.. There is no problem. The Cole.. which is one of the strongest shotguns ever made..has had NO issues with this design. I have chambered rifle shells with 55,000 psi chamber pressure.. proof 70,000 psi with no failure.. M<any of the old paper shells would blow out in the rim..and some gas would escape ..But that never hurt the receiver,barrel,or gun.. The shooter could get gas in their face..

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I can tell you one thing.. The TI Cole was tested to destruction.. We never managed to damage the receiver at all.. and we were well over 20,000 psi before the barrel/mono-block showed signs of failing at a vastly different location..

20. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Okay Mike... I'm with you.

Now can we consider a void in this chamber a problem, or not?

We can "what if" this all day... and error on the side of "safty"...

Do you see what I'm saying?

Fun to ponder... LOL

"and we were well over 20,000 psi before the barrel/mono-block showed signs of failing at a vastly different location.." This is just insane... but I do believe it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.