1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the price of lead hurt the sport

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tekyn gold, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

The guys at my gun club say they will still shoot, but not as much, and will not go as far to shoot????

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Sounds logical and reasonable…and probably true…
    Grubby

and you don't have to wonder if it calls for 7.5 or 8's......

3. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

16,000 registered in 06 - 9500 in 07 - 08 will be around 5000 regsitered +/-.

38-01615

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Since lead is so expensive I am asking my local club if they can help out all the shooters who are paying the high prices if they can only charge us for the targets we hit and break since the cost to shoot has gone up so high due to the cost of lead and such.

I'll let you know what they think when they get back to me.

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Now that's funny!

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Champion II ... You speak like Yoda so for now and forever I propose that your new TS.com name be "Yoda".

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

What all clubs should do is get the lead reclaimers in and dig up the shot. This will do two things:

1. It will provide income for the club that could be used to reduce membership fees or new equipment to reduce costs.

2. It will increase the supply of lead which will bring prices down.

Lead will come down in the next year. How far is unknown. I suspect it will come down to less that $1 a pound which means about $30± a bag of shot. This is my guess.

This sky is not falling here.... it will come down but how far is unknown.

TB

8. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**What all clubs should do is get the lead reclaimers in and dig up the shot**

That's a great idea, but I think you'll find the reclaimers are booked up 12-18 months in advance.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes. Between sending a kid off to college, gas prices, and lead prices, I am shooting a LOT LESS than previous seasons.

And if champion II really talked like Yoda, he would have said, "If charge only for broken targets they do, for free will you shoot."

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Champion II ... you are now no longer known as Yoda but once again now known as Champion II unless somebody has snagged your name in the last couple of hours and if somebody did snag your name than your just screwed ... sorry.

11. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

Nostradamus has predicted that the end of the world would be in 2012 and he also predicted shot at $100 a bag so get out and shoot now!!
    We only have 4 to 5 years left till the end of the world.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

The high cost of lead will hurt trap shooting. The question is how much will it hurt shooting? I know of a few individuals who have already reduced their shooting due to high reloading costs.

Pat Ireland

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat. There is no doubt that the high cost of lead has already had a big impact on trapshooting. Not only has the cost of shot and reloading components skyrocketed, the cost of the "bargain basement" shells has shot up as well. I have heard that the cost of shells will increase approximately 20% more right after the first of the year. I hope not, but, it could happen. While this increase won't stop everyone, it will, without question, have a major effect on the rank and file trapshooter this coming year. Many will reduce their registered shooting substantially, while many more will probably lay off for a while in search of something less expensive to take its place, hopefully to return to shooting later. I know of one couple that travel quite a bit and have registered a lot of targets in past years together. The wife is going to shoot only singles targets next season, while the husband will only shoot singles and handicaps. In the past, they both shot all the events. I know of some father/son shooters that will scale back on some shoots so they can both still shoot together. I'm sure you all know shooters like this in your area as well. We all need to tighten our belts and weather the storm as much as we can, while still shooting as much as we can afford to. I think TBaber is right: It will come down, eventually. Maybe not to the levels it was prior to these huge increases, but, it will level off to a point we can live with......Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. 154

154 TS Member

Yes. I respect the question but, I think we should ask how much will it hurt the sport.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I really don't think it will affect the sport......if you REALLY want to shoot, you WILL! Like if you want to drive, it doesn't matter what gas costs!

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

it has allready hurt the sport. we are lucky to get 5 squads at an ATA shoot and that's at 8 clubs.

17. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

were feeling the prices in the uk aswell the average shel now is about £150 per thousand and some upto £200 .game shells even worse.theres been a bit of talk about steel shot i was wondering if any one has any opinions on using it

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Cost of everything is related and yes it already has hurt the sport ... I spent all of my shell money on a new engine for my Hot Rod today and those Hemi's ain't cheap so the shells I have in the garage will have to last me for awhile ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey people. I understand that everything is going up. To me the price of fuel is a main problem in what dictates our lifestyle. If you use the reloading calculator and figure in mid-priced components (wads, powder and primers) you will find that reloads cost you $3.70 a box for 1 1/8oz using $30 shot. Raise that to $50 shot and it amounts to $5.00 a box. Now, if you go to a shoot and we'll say shoot the 16 yard and the handicap; it will cost you an extra $10.40 for the 200 rounds. ($30 shot vs $50 shot). Now if you shoot 1 registered shoot a week and maybe some league and practice rounds at the local club, (say another 100 rounds a week), you will be looking at an extra $15.60 a week in cost. I go back to what one enjoys. If shooting is important to you; I think most shooters can come up with the extra $15+. You just have to look at what is important to you and if you can afford it. AND I still maintain that lead is a commodity and will fluctuate. It would not surprise me to see $25-$30 shot in the next 6 months. (However I will admit, the price of fuel is also another negative factor). JMHO. Ed

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Soon the value of the lead you leave at the club when you shoot a round of trap will be more than cost to shot the birds. As the price keeps going up the club will be able to let you shoot for free. They will be able to be profitable by just harvesting the lead. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.