1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the grand continue to grow with big donation?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Looks like the Martin family has committed to another $200k and $100k events next year. Futhermore they are going to have. a $50k womens event next year. Looks like this sport in going to bring big money in the future.

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Don't get to relying on donations. Its a great thing but if it is relied on that when things start to go arye.
    If everyone that shoots trap would find one person in one year to join the game of trap then trap would never need to suffer. Remember if ever trapshooter get one person started. Just one for the year. Wild Bill

3. atanut

atanut TS Member

Without the Martin donation the grand would have been choking this year.

At a better location we would be back to the 5,000 shooters at the GAH. It is unfortunate the EC has to rely on donors.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

OK, nut, what would be a "better location" in your eyes? Several thousand shooters would say that the current site seems to be doing quite well.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your crazy if you think there is any location in this economy that would spur 5000 shooters in the Grand American Handicap. I know where the nut part comes from.

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

In my opinion the location is what it is. Very big and plenty of room to hold the Grand. As for the weather it's been to hot and humid in past years for the majority of shooters. This year was a blessing. If it's hot and humid next year I probably will not attend. 100 degree heat and high huminity is not me. Unbearable for us older folks. I do think without the Martin donation attendance at the grand would have dropped off. Thanks Martins for donating and helping this great sport. I had a great time there this year and met many new friends The targets were great and so were the workers.. I often wonder why the big venders like Remington,Federal etc are not adding big money to the Grand? After all vendors gain the most from the shooting sports.

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I had a great time at the Grand this year. I was there the first year that it moved there and it was very hot and humid but this year the weather was great.
    Don

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why even start such a thread? Let run it's course.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

It will be interesting to see how many next year throw $200 in the pot for the chance to get a part of the $200,000. 1610 people ponied up this year. 7 out of 8 that ponied up, got no part of the 200,000. I rarely play any of the money and don't otnerwise gamble. Seems to me that the 7 out of 8 odds of getting nothing back is not worth throwing $200 bucks at. But, like I said, I'm not a gambler.

10. John55

John55 Active Member

I saw a huge amount of young shooters there this year, and a number of them ended up in the big money shootoff...and another won the Kolar shoot out! With results like that I would expect to see more young folks competing next year, which is exactly what this sport needs. They'll come and shoot and not whine about the heat/humidity if it's bad, unlike many older shooters...and I do know it makes it a lot tougher on older folks. I applaud what the Martins are doing and also cannot understand why the gun and shell companies don't put up a bit more...maybe with the youth shooters increasing they might decide to do so?

11. gslam

gslam TS Member

My opinion is that big money should be shot for at the 27yrd. line. It will discourage long shooters when they spend thousands to get there and find out they are shooting for the big money the hard way while the 20yrd. line can put up lead overcast with a mod. choke and #8's. It simply isn't a fair playing field for a 27yrd. shooter that has to choke down and give up shot numbers since #8 don't work at 27yrds. It has nothing to do with young or old shooters it is just not a level playing field. That's why some have gotten out of ATA. I've been in AZ. in the winter and seen the boys demagnatizing from double A back to D class if they can get there. The line has to be drawn in the sand and the shooters interested in the prize pay their fee and all shoot from there. Like the turkey shoot of old, no different lines just step up and shoot. I've shoot many different shoots in my life and love competition including the 1000yrd 30-06. There wasn't a string of shooters strung out 400yrds up in front of me because they wanted special treatment for one reason or another. ATA is a waste of gas and money in our day and I'll save mine for where there is one line. Now you demagnatizers can rail on!

12. grntitan

gslam--With all your wisdom, you do realize a 27yd shooter won the $100K last year???

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

gslam, 8's do work from the 27 yard line. The $100,000 pot (last year) was won with 8 shot from the 27 yard line with 1145 fps Federal shells. I believe alot of shooters saved money from not going to state or zone shoots to be able to go to the grand instead this year because of the added money. I believe many will do the same again next year, because of the Martin's (wonderful) Donation again. We had great weather this year and a very nice turnout. I hope we can do it again next year. With one extra shooter of course!!! Me!!! I do hope the weather will cooperate again next year. LOL. Break-em all Jeff

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gslam, let's just move singles back to 27. Leave handicap where it is........

15. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Pull & Mark,

Not to start anything with you, but how did the ATA benefit from shooters skipping going to State and zone shoots to be able to go to the Grand instead?

The ATA makes its money from daily fees. If we don't support our local/little clubs there will not be anyplace to shoot. Then we won't need a Grand.

Ron Burdick

16. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

no matter what they do there is someone bitching or complaining. Never seen so many crybabbies. Why don't you all just quit and go play bingo, but you all would start crying and bitching about the little old ladies winning all the time.Sparta is a great place for the Grand so if you don't like it just quit don't try to ruin it for someone else.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Grand would still be on the slippery slope without the Martins money, The location can be debated from now until eternity ... Sparta is not now, never was, and never will be the place to host whats supposed to be the biggest trapshoot in the world ... Thanks to the Martins for breathing some life back into the Grand this year with their very generous dontation, when (if) that stops so does the future of the Grand ... Most of the shooters who attended this year smelled money, 7 out of 8 of them didn't get a whiff of it, think they will be back next year ..? Who Knows ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I hope the Martins don't read this ungrateful partisan bull shit.

19. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I didn't shoot the grand this year, but I attended it on Aug. 6 for the first time at Sparta. Its an awesome facility. It goes without saying that in normal August weather conditions, it will be hot and humid. Possibly more "felt" humidity, as it is part of the Mississippi River valley. Regardless, there was plenty of room and plenty of traps. The Martin's generous donations have certainly sparked interest in the Grand, and in all likelihood boosted the attendance. I am thankful for the Martin's interest, commitment and contributions to the ATA and the Grand. I hope to win some of their donations someday. I am planning on gearing up to try to shoot at least two events at the Grand next year, if time and money permits. In the grand scheme of things, that is what it all comes down to for most shooters, "do I have the time and the money to go play and enjoy myself?". This year I only had the time to visit, but I enjoyed it.

John Ertel

20. grntitan

I think alot of people overlook the reason the Martins are so generous with their money at the Grand. It is because of their love of the sport and their desire to see it become and remain sucessful. They wish to see the Grand sucessful in Sparta, IL despite the naysayers. As i've stated before, stay home if you so choose but the fun goes on without you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.