1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will steel base shells damage an old MX-8?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have a 1973 vintage MX-8 & recall seeing mentioned on this list sometime back that steel based shells can cause damage to the breach face of these older guns. Due the cost & availability of reloading components I have been shooting Estate, Gun Clubs & Federal Target loads lately. I am not seeing any damage so far but was wondering if this would be a legitimate concern in the long run. Thanks in advance, John

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes.. eventually.. they take their toll.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't believe they will have any more ill effects on the receiver face than the brass ones do. The steel used in the manufacture of those shells is much softer than the face of your receiver. You "may" notice some very slight wearing of the face over a couple hundred thousand rounds or so, but, I don't think it to be an issue. If you have a Perazzi, etc. that has had the firing pin holes dove tailed by Tom Fox at Pat Laibs, that titanium sleeve will never wear out due to those soft steel based hulls. Just not enough evidence to prove otherwise in my book. If there is proof that it does have any ill effects it would have shown up by now. If anyone possess's information to substantiate this claim, please post pictures and/or solid evidence to back up the claim... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan.. not to disagree.. but I can show you on both a Seitz and a Cole..wear on the breechface where the shell drags..that was non-existant with brass shells..I've also found the earlier Perazzi's had a harder breech face than those now produced..

While I shoot some steel headed shells.. They will never be as soft as brass ones.. Yes.. it will take a lot of them...but many shooters shoot alot of them.. You'll also see extra wear in the barrel as the steel rim gets dragged across the barrel as its ejected.. again not much.. but measurable..

The repair that Pat laib goes with the hardened steel insert will correct the breechface for a lifetime.. and help the firing pins as well..

All Good.. Mike

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All steel's Rockwell hardness is greater than any brass. It has to wear more and faster. How significant that is I can't tell on my 1976 model MX8. I keep my breech face lubed with a light film of SuperLube and I can't see any increased drag wear. I've only been shooting steel head hulls for about 6 years though, about 72,000 rounds.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I see the wear indentations all the time. I reload nothing but brass STS and AA hulls.

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

on another note: is there any O/U out there that won't be a "victim" of faster wear and tear from steel based hulls? Since Rio hulls are brass coated and the Gun Clubs are flat out all steel, this leaves me little choice of what ammo to shoot in my O/U. I don't reload (don't have the living accomodations to do so), and shooting Win AA/Remington STS on a daily or weekly basis is out of the question, cost wise...I currently shoot a K80 now...

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for those that mention Pat Laib, can you give a more detailed explainantion on what exactly he does to prevent wear and tear from shooting steel based hulls?

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pat puts a dovetailed strip of metal.. right up the center where the shells rub..and the firing pins go thru.. It's hardened tool steel..much harder than most frames are.. The guns I've seen with them show no signs of wear on the breechface..

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Thanks....does he do this specifcially for Perazzis only or can he do this for all O/U guns? I'm not able to find "cheap" brass based shells to shoot practice with so my only options are Remington Gun Clubs or Rio shells....

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think there are quite a few guns he could do.. But really.. do you think you need it yet??? You might be talking 300,000 rounds before you'll really see any real wear.. Maybe more.. Most of us don't keep a gun that long..or at least.. don't shoot that many shells thru 1 gun..

While I answered the question.. I still shoot my Remington gunclubs..like everyone else..and Rio.. and Kemen,and Federal's on sale.. and ShurShot.. The little bit I now shoot.. it will never make a difference..

My Silver Seitz #49 came to me with a perfect face.. in 50,000 rounds with steel headed hulls.. it has marks.. Same for my Bill Cole #2.. Bill said it had over 300,000 regestered rounds thru it.. from 2 owners..and it's face looked like new.. some 20,000 rounds later..with steel headed hulls.. I made marks in it.. No.. it does not effect the shooting.. and its not really bad..but it buggs the crap out of me..knowing it was under my watch it happened..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.