1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will school security follow TSA's lead?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 548, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

A 2008 CNN report (most recent I could find) reports that an average of 280 flights of the 28,000 daily flights have an armed federal Air Marshal on board. That averages less than one percent of flights.

Is this proof that heat of the moment legislation doesn't work? Was this the amount of security envisioned when the program started?

I suggest to you that schools will be no different. I would love to see school resource officers in every school. But it just isn't going to happen. There are too many schools in rural settings without the resources. Do we secure public schools and leave private schools to fend for themselves?

I don't see how an effective plan can be drafted with long term success in mind without addressing the "access" issue to certain weapon types.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

So I guess the better alternative is to do nothing?

3. 548

548 Guest

No Sir, read my last sentence.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

And, the number of armed pilots?

By the way, should be a state issue on what if any security to provide in schools!

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Well, if the country isn't willing to let the teachers arm themselves then I guess we'll have some feel-good solution.

6. 548

548 Guest

Joe, I read a couple of articles on the subject before creating the thread. From the reading I did, the TSA considers the flight "covered" if one of three scenarios take place on that flight: 1-Air Marshal on board. 2-armed police officer on board (personal business or on duty, makes no distinction) 3-armed pilot

Estimates report that less than 5% of flights are "covered" under that criteria.

Joe, I agree with your assertion that school security is a state issue. However states are required to balance their budgets. And so as usual, money will again become the issue.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

When the public finally came around to the obvious solution to combat airline hijacking by arming the pilots, an idea that I fully support in concept........they turned implimentation of the plan over to the TSA, an organization that had made it plain that they opposed the whole idea from the start. So the predictable happened, the TSA came up with a program that was designed to fail.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just like during the cold war --the certainty & uncertainty of getting wacked stopped a nuclear confrontation. As long as the possibility of an armed trained person in a school exists--things will be a lot safer than they are now. Right now bad guys have very little to fear-for them its a shooting gallery.

Phil Berkowitz

9. 548

548 Guest

There is an element of truth to that Phil.

I tend to think that these men are suicidal and have no intention to live through the episode. Aside from the shooter's who are avenging years of bullying, I think these killers are selecting schools as a Shock & Awe factor. I wonder if the armed Biology teacher will be a deterrent to a suicidal gunman; I don't know.

10. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

These perps are cowardly losers who chose gun free (free fire) zones because they don't want confrontation. When confronted by an armed individual they usually give up or shoot themselves.

Libtards can babble until hell freezes over but they can't change the fact that msss shooting terminated by second responders (police) average 14 dead while those terminated by civilians (first responders) average 2.

Of course the 548 solution of confiscating all guns he doesn't approve of is always an option. It's the same old liberal solution- disarm law abiding citizens, leaving criminals as the only ones armed.

[​IMG]

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"I don't see how an effective plan can be drafted with long term success in mind without addressing the "access" issue to certain weapon types."

"Access" of what and to whom??

We already have thousands of laws on the books that are suppose to keep criminals and crazies from guns!!

As a law abiding Citizen, I AM MORE RESTRICTED IN MY ABILITY TO BUY FIREARMS THEN ANY CRIMINAL OR CRAZIES!!!

Liberals are sooooooooo dense!!

Just more proof that "indoctrination" has worked on the brainless!!

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I personally think the imaginations of the leftist "frightened of life" types make way too much of the idea of armed staff at schools. Leftists always project the truth about what they are onto everyone else. Leftists know they are irresponsible losers who can't be trusted. Their assumption is everyone is like them. The idea of someone whose armed condition is routine and as much a normal part of their daily life as their responsible automobile use is quite beyond them.

Leftists also imagine the very worst scenario they can think up, and make that scenario the standard for how everything will work out all the time. The kids who are dying are less important to them than maintaining their condition of frightened refusal to accept the challenge that lies before us. They think up and harp on all the potential failures instead of looking for a way to make it work.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Wireguy has Liberal Losers figured out. They truly are frightened of life. They are very intimidated by those of us who are NOT frightened of life. (sigh)

Don't forget, a criminal is not required by law to even admit to having a firearm that is illegal for him to possess (Fifth Amendment)

As a licensed dealer, if I tell an ATF inspector I do not have a certain inventory item or personal firearm and during an inspection, he finds it, I am in violation of law (providing false information). If I refuse to answer his question, I can have my license revoked (NO Fifth Amendment protection)

14. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Keep the TSA out of our schools, they can't run an airport, please don't let them get a foot hold in our communities. Secondly arming teachers sounds great, but how many teachers you know are ready to pull the trigger on someone,

The most dangerous place for a gun is in the hands of a person who by nature can't kill. Most teachers are by nature designed to nurture, teach & love, and guide you to do the same, Not kill.

Police officers retired or on the job is a great idea as long as they are changed out every 30 days or less, become lax, & boredom kills.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Fraz has good ideas.

16. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Yes he does!

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree that a professional armed guard just standing guard with nothing else to do would be a boring job perhaps leading to fatal complacency, one of the reasons IMO that armed teachers would be a better idea. No sane person is eager to pull the trigger on somebody but I wonder, if the brave lady principle that had the courage to "lunge" at the shooter in a futile attempt to stop him had been armed.......? We'll never know because she didn't have a chance with nothing but her bare hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.