1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will release triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Will release triggers give you a faster lock time? If so do you find you can cut your led on hard right or left targets.

Dave

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dave..... Forget about lock time when shooting a release as it's not measurable. Lock time is not a factor when shooting. Trigger consistancy IS. What you are saying, in essence, is that if I shoot a faster shell, will I be able to break more angle targets? The simple answer is no, you won't. The ONLY way to break angle targets on a regular basis is learning to shoot them correctly..... Don't waste your time on worrying about "lock time".... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good answer Mr.Thome. I think we are talking thousandths of a second when referencing lock time. With exception of a few very skilled shooters, i doubt not many can tell the difference in such minute time differences.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

How much time to release 32 oz. Vs. Pull 4#....

Milliseconds...

5. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Shootlow thats what I thought also but it's three to two on the comments. Not many shooters wanted to comment on release triggers. Dave

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dave........ Just to set the record straight, I've been shooting releases for over 20 years. I didn't say that lock time was not faster with a release than it is with a pull. I simply stated that you will not break any more angles with it. While "lock time" has been debateable for years, it is not a factor for breaking targets consistantly. It appears to me, however, that you have your mind made up and are just looking for encouragement to support your theory. Nothing wrong with that as it's the way trapshooters roll, and we ALL try to find something that will help. Trust me, grasshopper, there is no magic lock time. There is no magic barrel. There is no magic choke. There are no magic shells..... There is just a lot of time and effort in learning how to shoot the angles the right way. The only way to improve is to learn to shoot correctly and then, and ONLY then, your scores will increase. The rest is just trivial dribble and means nothing. I'm sure you are going to try it anyway, and I wish you much sucess. I also just wish I could be there when it fails and I could say " I told you so". (Not that I'm that kind of person...:)... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Actually, depending on how the release is set up, the lock time could be longer.

But like Dan said - worry about something important. If those milliseconds are the difference between your success and failure, you are in some deeeeeeeep doodoo.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Think of it this way. Is it easier or quicker to pull four pounds of weight with your finger, or is it quicker or easier to let go of two pounds of weight pushing on your finger? Jon

I shot a release trigger the last two weekends, then shot my normal pull trigger. Seems to me the shot is fired much faster with a release, once the mind says go. It does not have anything to do with lead on the angle birds though. The lead remains the same. You will find yourself shooting behind the bird once in a while becasue of the ease in which the gun is fired. At least until you get used to it.

I hope Neil chimes in with some testing, or mathematical equations. Jon

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oh, Hell!! Just pull my finger!!!

(grin)

10. Stl Flyn

I ate Chinese tonight. I am not waiting for someone to pull my finger.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've been shooting a release for at least 30 years.

I've had some slow lock time releases(think 1100 Remington or Model 12 releases and I've had some fast ones. (Think Ljutic or Perazzi releases.

To me it isn't the lock time that makes the difference.

Now that I've said that, let me see if I can explain a little.

With a pull trigger you come up to the target and your mind will say, just as you get to it pull the trigger and by the time the gun goes off you are on the bird or a little over.

With a release, (and this is from my perspective only) you come up to a bird and as your mind says to let go, it does, only a little bit faster than it would if you were pulling it.

So for me, I have to either cover the bird a little bit more with a release, or shoot a higher shooting gun. I choose to shoot a higher shooting gun. Not a lot, maybe 80/20 or so.

It just seems the release versus the pull trigger that the gun, no matter the model, wants to go off a little quicker with the release because it is so effortless.

Just my take and am not trying to change what anyone else feels.

Have a good day and get out to shoot...........somewhere or anywhere...........I know I will!

Hauxfan!

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with Hauxfan. I started shooting a Release trigger in 1989 and what I remember from my Pull trigger days was a feeling of "stopping the gun for just a millesecond" prior to pulling the trigger. Maybe this feeling was a phase of my flinch, but with a Release the gun barrel keeps moving vertically and horizantally at the moment of truth. I find that I will short shoot the angle target when the release trigger is too fast for me, and if the release trigger is too slow my cheek will come off the comb.

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Trap 2 I have shot a pull trigger for 61 years and it has come down to the fact that I can no longer break a 100 straight for a few flinches. I started the thread for a little input on release triggers because I have talked to several shooters and get all kind of answers. Most tell me just what Hauxfan and miketmx had to say. You are right in the fact that I am going to try a release and find out for myself. I have read your comments on TS for a long time and I am sure that you are not the type to say I told you so (maybe to your close friends). :) Thanks for your input as I appreciate all the help I can get.

Dave

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dave..... You will love shooting the release, trust me. It definately improved my scores. It took me a long time to learn the angle targets, but, now they are my favorites. That little quarter angle to the left, on the other hand????????? Good shooting Dave, and let us know how the release works out.. Dan

15. Stl Flyn

Release trigger will take you to the promised land. I promise. Jon

16. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jon, LOL.

Dave, I started shooting a release about 3 years ago and my perception is that it is faster. I love to have this discussion with Two Dogs as he usually rises to the bait. Frankly, I don't think it makes any difference. I agree with what Dan said. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.