1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will older 1100 barrels work on newer guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k3uro, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Except for the small gauges I believe all the 12s are the same.

Take care,

Jim

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

yes I have a new style sporting 12 Ga and I use a 30 year old trap barrel, as far as I can see the only difference is the detent that holds end cap on?

3. 121083

121083 Member

If it says 1100 it will work on any similar gauge gun made. I have a 1977 16 ga and purchased a new 1100 16 ga barrel two years ago from Remington and it works perfect. Also did the same for my .410 and it works also. Wanted the luxury of choke tubes for both. Good shooting, Bob.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Guns from 1987 and newer use a 25% larger extractor. If you use an older barrel with a newer model receiver/bolt the extractor slot on the barrel should be opened up.
    Some barrels fit, some don't.

Ajax

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yes, with the following provisos....

First, older barrels are almost always going to be standard contour. Some of the later 1100s have forends inletted for the smaller diameter light contour barrel. The forend may need to be opened up.

Note that late model 1100s use the 1187 style barrel retention system, so you may not be able to swap the forend, using an earlier style, to accomodate the standard contour barrel unless you also use an earlier mag tube cap. Early 1100s use a detent ball to retain the mag tube cap. 1187s and late model 1100s use an internal toothed retainer.

Another issue is the extractor. Late model 1100s use the 1187 bolt. The extractor is wider. So, the extractor slot on the earlier 1100 barrel might need to be widened on each side with a file for clearance. This is not a big problem, just a little hand work. Mount the barrel first and slowly and carefully ease the bolt forward and see if the extractor is aligned, centerline to centerline, with the slot. If so, file both sides of the slot. If not, file one side more as appropriate. Generally they'll be aligned.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Hey Brian, did you ever figure out how to slow the cycle time down with factory shells?

Ajax

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The only way I know to slow down the bolt velocity is to decrease the powder charge or reduce the size of the gas port(s). Opening up the gas ports is easy. Reducing them calls for some really creative work.

One malfunction that can lead to excessive bolt velocity is a very weak recoil spring. But usually other problems are present as well.

8. tulsey

tulsey Member

Not being aware of the extractor slot difference I once put an older trap barrel on a gun with the 11-87 bolt. It worked, but when I found out about the difference and looked it was easy to see that just a little debris or anything could have caused a broken extgractor. I quit using tht older barrel on that gun until I can open up the slot a little

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.