1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will NICS check catch stolen guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I have had a handful of internet buys and sales.
    All worked well.

I would be real bummed out to buy a stolen gun.

As a non-FFL I always buy through my local FFL who runs a NICS check on me. The NICS form includes the serial number. If the gun was reported stolen would the NICS check pick it up?

Lou

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I am not sure but I don't think the nics check runs the serial number through ncic data base for stolen items. They don't care about the statistics of the firearm....only the buyer's statistics !!!........Uncle Sam, Pa.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

No. You don't enter the serial number when doing a NICS check, just person's info.

The FORM is the 4472 form that the guyer completes, the seller uses it to provide specific info to the NC IS staff, and they respond with a Proceed or Denial and a reference number.

Following that, the FFL then finishes the form putting down the serial number, manufacturer, type, etc. and then this info is then entered into the FFL's PFRB bound book and the 4472 is filed and saved.

Therefore, no stolen info would be available. You'd have tao do that with your local law enforcement personnel.

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The NICS call in check does not require a serial number. But the serial number is recorded on the 4473 form, and kept at the dealer for a minimum of 20 years.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

no, the serial # stays on the form only. The only time the ATF ever sees that form is if the dealer decides not to renew his license (is shutting his doors or deciding not the deal in guns anymore), at which time the dealer surrenders all his forms, but I doubt even then that the atf does much with them beyond storing them in a warehouse somewhere, or destroying them...

The only thing you can do as a buyer is, if its something specialty, such as a high end target shotgun (kolar, krieghoff, ect), target rifle, or something that there's a relatively limited number of them out there, you may be able to have the manufacturer run a check on that specific gun...

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you purchase a handgun in Pa. a copy of gun ID is sent to the Pa. state police, so maybe if it's a stolen handgun it could be discovered.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Yep, Tenn runs numbers through NCIC. We have had two picked up as stolen, one from another gun shop about 10 years ago.

8. Bushmaster1313

I might catch some flak for this, but it makes sense to me to check for stolen guns at each point of sale.

It might make thieves less interested in stealing guns if it was clear that a stolen gun would hit the radar whenever someone tried to sell it to or through an FFL.

Lou

9. Bushmaster1313

If theives know that they can sell stolen guns to a gun shop (or to a private citizen through an FFL) without fear of having the gun's status checked, doesn't that make it more attractive to steal the guns in the first place?

Note, I am not talking about detering the theft of guns that may be stolen to be used to commit a crime. My concern is that we want to make it harder for thieves to profit by stealing any gun, especially one that someone saved long and hard to buy or which may have irreplaceable sentimental value.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Thieves very seldom ever sell stolen firearms to gun dealers because the law requires the seller to furnish ID to the dealer. Stolen guns are sold on the street to other crooks in most cases, especially handguns. Stolen long guns are very hard to tract down in states where the only record of sale is held by the dealer. Only when long guns are confiscated in crimes that police can trace them as being stolen.

11. Bushmaster1313

What law requires a seller to give ID to a dealer?

Thanks

Lou

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My understanding is there are two states in the union that are required to run their firearms through NCIC. I don't recall which ones they are but that info was related to me by a BATF agent during an audit.

Seems one of my clients aquired a revolver through the internet that turned up stolen. Of course, the chain of purchasers ran through me and triggered that audit. Other than that, most thieves are free and clear. Can anyone relate to the difficulty of tracing a stolen Trapgun when some shooters change guns as often as underwear!!

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Bushmaster, you are obviously a young person who does not yet understand the ways of the world. Gun registration is bad, and any way that it is implemented is also bad. End of story. Crime prevention and punishment is good and many ways to implement those are also good. Gun registration and crime prevention and punishment have little to do with each other. Take a break and learn the difference.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had bought a stolen gun from a gun shop once. I shot it about 2 years and traded it in at another shop, who transfered it to a customer. That customer had the police run the numbers and that is when it came up stolen. I had kept the receipts to show where I bought it. It turned out that the brother in law of the man who lost it originally had traded it in at the shop I bought it. Without the receipt, I am sure I would have at least be inconvenienced by law enforcement officers. Rule of thumb, save those receipts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.