1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will lowering the buttpad help keep.........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Aug 9, 2013.

1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

your head on the stock?

Have been missing some straightaways from different posts and I'm suspecting I'm lifting my head a little. So I'm wondering if this adjustment would help .

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gun fit is the most important part of shooting. With your gun in an low mount like hunting pick a spot on the wall or a head lets say in a painting and focus on that. Close your eyes and bring your gun up and try to point it at that spot with your eyes closed. Get your stock butt in a comfortable spot in your shoulder pocket (eyes still closed) with your cheek on the stock (do not lower your head to the gun, bring the gun up to your head) now open your eyes and you should be looking strait down your barrel with the two beads lined up in a nice figure 8 and pointed right at that head in the picture. It you can't do this!!! your gun does not fit you!!!, and you need to have some fit the gun to you. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

If you bring your head down to the gun, you will find yourself lifting your head not only for straightaways, but whenever you lose sight of the target even for a moment.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Mount your cheek to your comb, and get the sight picture you want, without worrying about where the recoil pad hits. Now check where the recoil pad is hitting your shoulder. If it isn't solidly in full contact against your shoulder, adjust your butt plate to achieve that; drop, cast, pitch, cant, etc. Make the gun fit you, not you fit the gun. Changing the location of the recoil pad will not affect your POA and POI, if you don't move where you put your cheek on the comb, and as a result where your eye is aligned. It will just make the gun fit you better, therefore less painful recoil, and more consistent gun mount. Mark

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

The consequence of raising or lowering pad is the matching requirement of raising your right arm/elbow to keep gun in your face. The higher the elbow (no Monte Carlo) the more effort required to keep stock in your face after first shot.

As noted above the trade to going with MC is dropping shoulder more below the line of recoil which tends to increase muzzle flip on recoil.

I eventually settled on MC for all stocks except field but had to find the right pitch change to neutralize Some of the muzzle flip.

Having said all this, this debate stimulated High Rib/Monte Carlo guns as well as unsingle bottom barrel type trap guns.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

coming out of the gun can also be a sign of a weak forehand arm

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Calvin, interesting cause for lifting your head.

Could you go into further detail as to how and possible fixes.

7. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I often hear the instruction to "bring the gun to your head", rather than bring your head to the gun.

However:

If one is of average or close to average build, the top of one's shoulder "pocket" is several inches below the bottom of the jaw line.

If the top of the heel of the buttstock is placed at the top of the shoulder pocket (where it should be), then the comb of the buttstock will be an inch or two below the bottom of the jaw line, and an even greater distance below the eye. Even with a "high rib gun", the head must be lowered to get behind and in line with the top of the rib. So why is this mantra repeated ad nauseum?

When I hear this instruction, I am reminded of the oft-repeated half-truth I hear from sporting clays instructors: "Just focus on the target, if your gun fits you, then you will hit the target".

Not true (to put it politely).

bluedsteel

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Oregunner nailed it.

Mike

9. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I have to agree with Oregunner on this. It stands to reason, if the distance between your cheek and eye, and the distance between the stock comb and the axis of the bore remain the same, moving the butt pad up or down will do nothing but change the amount of recoil you feel due to the amount of the pad that contacts the shoulder. Some guys I have talked to think that dropping the pad is the same as raising the comb. Not so. All you do is get kicked more.

Search tags for this page

drop pad to raise comb

lowering recoil pad on trap gun