1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will lead harm barrels if shot is out of wad cup?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Masterplan, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

My question is from seeing the CB-TGT 12 is listed as being able to hold 7/8" through 1-1/8? lead amounts.

Thanks

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

For over a century there were no shot cups or shot collars and many of the guns of that era are still in use today. The short answer is, "No".

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I doubt lead will "harm" your barrel if shot out of the wad cup. Your steel barrel is much harder than lead. However, you may get a lot of lead build up / fowl up in the barrel. Then you will need a good lead remover.

Hit 'em hard,

John

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I suspect the compression of the heaviest part of the payload, the shot, negates any variations in shot cup depth.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

No it won't harm the barrel, just makes it harder to clean, especially with chilled shot. The reason they list these wads for different weight shot is for powder densities. A real dense powder like WSF you can load 1-1/8 oz. shot. A bulky powder you might only get 7/8 oz. with that wad. Any 1 ounce wad, like a TGT 12, can claim the same thing.

Wayne

6. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

Thanks for all your valued info
    NOW that being said........
    I want to know what effect it would have if I were to cut the cup finger off my wads ?

I'm looking for a "Fast shot spread"

I suppose I should pattern it to see at 40 yards or less.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With todays quality of shot(hardness, even the chilled variety compared to that available years ago) leading would be way down my list of concerns!

It will hard to judge the effectiveness of removing the wads petals when eye balling your 40 yard patterns?

Hap

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you can't change choke tubes you might try some spreader wads or those spreader inserts. Or buy an extra bbl. in the constriction you want. lotsa choices. Ross Puls

9. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

YOU NAILED IT ON THE HEAD, I WAS LOOKING TO MAKE A SKEET LOAD FOR MY K80 FIXED O/U

I PURCHASED SOME BRUSH WADS AND EXTREME SPREADERS FROM BALLISTIC PRODUCTS.

HAPPY SHOOTING

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

No,but it will lead the barrel over time.

11. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

All I know is I got alot of lead in my pencil,I cut my gun barrels down to 26" and bored out a skeet choke at the end ,I shoot # 9's and have a wide pattern and very rarely miss any clays.He haw Boy

12. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

I have cut the fingers off,they will smoke birds on the 16 yd line. as far as leading I guess it will lead your barrel if you never clean it. Henry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead shot without wad cup