1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Ithaca 37R mod chk 28" barrel break clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I have an unfired since restoration 12 gauge 1940 Ithaca 37R field gun with a 28" modified barrel. Do forum members think this gun would break enough clays to be fun on the trap line?

I am trying to decide between putting it up for sale it in "unfired" condition and taking it to the range.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Will Ithaca 37R mod chk 28

The 37 is a fine, classic J.M Browning design and will break every target if you do your part of the job. Most shoot dead flat, but you can get used to it. As for your "fun" question, few things at a trap club are more fun than outshooting guys with shotguns costing 10-20X as much as your own. I keep my old Mossberg 500A around for just that purpose! :)

-Gary

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do not have any reference material to quote, but I am told that choked barrels that were made before the introduction of the plastic wad are actually a bit tighter than later chokes. So an early modified would be close to todays improved modified which would carry you to the 27 yard line. Maybe some of the gunsmiths on here will chime in. Shoot your gun,have fun. If the targets are not breaking, it is not the guns fault.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Of course that gun will break targets. The Model 37 is a great gun. I have one in 16 gauge.

What you'll find, however, is the thing that makes it a great upland gun, its light weight, will make it not much fun to shoot a lot of targets with. The recoil will be stout.

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I echo what timb99 mentioned about recoil . If you are sincere about using it regularly , get it properly "fitted" and install a really good recoil pad .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca 37r for trap shooting