1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Cost Keep You From Shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stskid, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stskid

stskid TS Member

Had a couple friends over the other day and. as ussual, or talk turned to trap shooting.

We have always shot togther as a group for many years, but one member of our group said they will not be shooting any where near the number of "Registered Targets" this year as they have in the past.

The main reason he said was the expense. The cost of shot, high gas prices, coupled with the cost of registered shooting said was driving him to spend his shooting dollars on league and non-registered events.

Anyone else feel the same? I admit it is getting expensive, but I can't say it has, as of yet, caused me to consider doing less registered events.

2. Ertz

Ertz Member

I think I will be shooting a lot more marathons and be a little more selective on what club registered shoots I attend. I am saving my pennies and dimes with hopes of going to the Grand, and hopefully will be able to afford three or four days of our state shoot.

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

If the Federal Government is able to increase gas by $.40, a 5 year plan, we will stop a lot of our traveling. Where do all of the increases stop? We are more fortunate because we can shoot on our farm. Michael

4. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Yes, I think it will slow down the working man shooter a lot, But I don't think you will see it for a while as most, like me have stocked up pretty good. By mid-year I believe we will see the effects of High priced shells and High priced gas. JD

5. Popgun

Popgun TS Member

Hi Guys

Yes I have a few bags of shot and some Wal Mart shells and when there gone,
    I think I will be gone.
    I will pick and choose the shoots that I will be going to this year.
    Have a nice day and all your targets be a puff of smoke.

Bob Smith Ohio

6. trappug

trappug TS Member

It wont stop me,but im sure it will slow me down a little.trap pug

7. BMC

BMC Member

I used to shoot every weekend, mostly registered. With the costs of everything just going nuts right now, I really shouldn't be shooting at all. But I can't quit, so I committed to shooting only with our club one weekend and one registered per month and to cut back the league to only two days a month. That should reduce my shooting costs by at least 50%, therefore I will now run out of money later in the year instead of immediately.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm getting anxious to go to a shoot - it's been since September. My club has one coming up in about three weeks.

It will be interesting to see how prices affect shooting, shells most of all. My club has not had shot for sale since early last fall when we sold the last of it. We sold STS/Nitro/AA/Federal for $5.50 until recently. Now our replacement costs have forced it up to $7.50. We are currently selling Estates etc for $4.75, but our replacement costs will force that to about $6. So far shooting has not slowed down much, but how long can that last?

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

It will keep me from shooting as much as I have in previous years but it will not stop me. I will just be far more selective as to how many rounds and how often I shoot. Regular club shooting with friends will for sure take priority over registered shooting of any sort or kind though.

10. dexterkid

dexterkid TS Member

It's about to.

Jack

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Yes...and no

I've eliminated registered shooting and the travel that goes with it from my 2008 plans. I'll shoot more local and club events.

Morgan

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

No! With 2 million in the bank, why would I worry about shooting cost? Screw it.....just shoot!

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Not yet...but I may be somewhat more selective???

There's plenty of registered shoots with a 35 - 40 minute drive and it's still fairly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Wilm. Trap Club = 4.3 miles

Millington = 29 miles

Oxford = 19 miles

Elysburg = 2-1/2 hrs.

Curt - Delaware

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Yes.

If a registered shoot isn't local (within 45 minutes) then I won't be shooting it this year - so that cuts out both state shoots (PITA and ATA).

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Turnouts at many of the smaller clubs in the East have already dropped significantly. One of my buddies who was the CEO of a large company once said if you can't afford something you're not working enough hours.

McDonalds is hiring and if you want to do something bad enough it's your job to find the extra money. I skipped plenty of lunches in High School and skinned lots of critters in order to continue shooting when things were tight 45 years ago. Problem today is everyone prefers to sit and complain instead of making it happen!!

16. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

If you can afford it ,keep doing it ,for me its to expensine!
    remember "AFFORDABLE is a relative term "

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What I have given up to shoot as much as I do. Golf, Weekly $$poker game, watch for more deals on everyday items, Increased my shopping to Walmart and Costco, BJs ect ect. Really plan My driving to avoid wasted trips. Do not go out as much. I have not had a raise in 5 years. My monthly cost of keeping my house is up 300.00 from last year alone. Im ready to give up cable TV. I never wanted it but lost that battle with my wife. I will not be shooting summer league shoot. I will still practice there and shoot some but not committed to weekly scores and trips. I want to shoot at least 10 ATA events this season. Most likly it will be 7. I just might hit the 4 surounding state shoots and a few of thew bigger local shoots.

18. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I will shoot less.

I will shoot maybe three or four big shoots instead of most of them.

Bo

19. boneman

boneman TS Member

I think between my back and the cost it will slow me down. Larry

20. trappug

trappug TS Member

No but Im going to keep a closer eye on what Im spending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.