1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Babe Ruth's Record Ever Be Broken

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sigraph, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Will Babe Ruth

Break record = break record for times at bat.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

One record Ruth has that will never be broken, is his 14 innings pitched in a world series game. Whats even more amazing, he gave up one run in the first, then pitched 13 scoreless innings to win the game! Wayne

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

No anglo saxon without steroids! ?Tom Rhoads

4. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Will Cal Ripken Jr.'s record be broken?

5. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

What amazes me that we have tainted records that shouldnt even be excepted, it's send the wrong message. what the commissioner should due is check average years piorior to jump in homers and deduct the difference every year after that, and if the big dogs don't like like it, to go pack sand? thats as bad as trap shooters claiming they got a bird and they know they didn't. I just can't except these home run records that are "enhanced" by the use of drugs. they should not be allowed in any record books and never in the hall of fame, soon to be called the "Hall of Shame".

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

slipping we feel the same as many thousands of others about the "enhanced" records that are present in sports today. Hammering Hank did break the Babes record and it's the record everyone thinks about when thinking of Babe Ruth.. I do know he pitched for a short time but didn't know about his 14 inning world series game. Thanks for sharing that one with us. Dan

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Take the steroids out of the game and get back to real baseball & the records will go unbroken

8. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Dahaub - Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record - but went to bat over 2000 more times.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Hey... what exactly were in all those hotdogs that Babe Ruth ate?! (lol) Maybe it was all those natural casings that contained ingredients which gave him an unfair advantage over todays, metabolically (word?!) enhanced hitters?

I think an investigation is warranted...

regards all!

Jay

10. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

spitter, you could be right I hear the lumber back then was more juiced up than the wood used today? they should look at photos of samie, bondize, and whats his name? after getting juice up they all could started another career in the WWF?? slid,, and not into home.

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

The Babe liked women and booze............so maybe the young guys could take a lesson, and switch from steroids to Babes favorites!

12. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

While most folks recall that the Babe hit 714 home runs, many don't know he hit for a lifetime Batting average of .342! That's a lot of hits besides HR's.

No one can touch that combination. Check out other 'big' HR hitters and their lifetime BA and you'll be suprised.

js

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

While this thread is about Ruth, let me give you an interesting fact about about a team-mate of his. In 1927 Lou Gehrig had 175 RBI. The most that season, and the fourth most in history. Thats the same year Ruth hit 60 home runs. Whats the big deal? Ruth batted third, Gehrig batted fourth.

That means when Gehrig came to the plate, 60 times the bases were empty! And he still got 175 RBI. Talk about a clutch hitter. Wayne

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

They also only played a 150 games a year back when the Babe was playing, today they have got an extra 12 games per year.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

People(now a days)just don't know how good Ruth really was.He started as a pitcher for a number of years in Boston(5 I think?),and had a record of 89 and 46. Lifetime numbers.....94 and 46 with an ERA of 2.28. In World Series play he pitched a total of 31 innings,and had a record of 3 and 0 with an ERA of .87. Not too shabby for a fat guy.......LOL
    D.P.Reynolds

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is only one man that has his own room in Cooperstown, and that's the "Babe." Does that tell you something?

17. Mr MardiGras

Mr MardiGras Member

LOL....Will it ever be broken??? NO WAY!!! It is considered a feat if a pitcher pitches a complete game now a days...never mind going 14 innings....Just my opinion....Jim

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They are going to dedicate the rest rooms to all of the Dopers, A-Rod, Barry Bonds, and Big Mac just to name a few ... They will hang proudly in a display over the urinals as a reminder of Pee tests ... If we only knew how many of these over paid babies are on the juice, I think we would all be surprised ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

BTW, Babe was not always 'fat. We typically see him 'heavy' in the later filmsreels, as that is what still exists. Early photos and accounts show that while Babe was big, as a young man he was much thinner and athletic. As he aged, he was still able to connect for base hits and HR's, even as his age caught up with him.

I think he looked a lot like William Bendix.

js

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This link will give you some serious Ruth trivia. I think Ruth also had 11 inside the park home runs in his career. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.