1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will ATA catch it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, a friend tied for the handicap win with a 95 at a club with 17 squads. When we were getting ready to leave, I asked if he got punched (because he's a 20 yard shooter and has not been punched yet). He went back inside and indeed, he was supposed to be punched.

Now this club holds a significant number of registered shoots and the management is good enough that they can pretty much do lewis numbers in their heads.

My question is, if this club did not inform the shooters that they were to be punched, would the ATA catch it and would it catch up to the shooter(s), or would it likely slip through the cracks?

Regards,

Chip Porter

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It is the shooter's responsibility to compete at the correct yardage.

HM

3. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The club may not have notified the shooter that they got yardage but that club should still turn in the yardage increase to the ATA and the ATA will apply it to their web site. This process may take a month or more depending on how long it takes the club to turn in their paperwork. I highly doubt the ATA will assess any yardage that the club does not turn in.

But yes it is the shooters responsibility to shoot at the correct yardage even if they never got notified of the punch. They could have left the shoot prior to the scores all being recorded and not realized they got a punch.

It is possible that at a later shoot that is computerized, they may tell you that you have increased yardage. I have had that happen before with a 93 but it was only a 1/2 yard so I never was actually shooting from the wrong yardage.

4. t-bar

t-bar Member

The club should mail a card out indicating a yardage punch, if not done at the

shoot. These cards are available from the ATA.

Barb

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

Chip Porter aka "minnship8"

NO, the earned yardage will not slip through the cracks (as you put it in you thread above).

This happened to me, where I won a yard at and was not notified. I left the shoot before the handicap event was over and was NOT NOTIFIED by the hosting club that I had earned a yard. About a month later, at a computerized ATA registered shoot, I was notified that I was shooting at the wrong yardage. I lost 400 handicap targets off my record for shooting the wrong yardage. I fought it, right up to the ATA President, but I still lost those 400 targets. I was told "It is the shooter responsibility to shoot on the right yardage".
    I felt the hosting club had the responsibility to notify all shooters that earned yardage at their shoot, and not punched at the shoot, should be notified of their new handicap yardage. Final result = "Shooters responsibility to shoot on the correct yardage". Tom

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

TjayE, losing the 400 count isn't the only bad part of shooting at the wrong yardages! Any money and or trophy's won must also be returned!! As said, it's the shooters personal responsibility to shoot at his assigned yardages and declare it at sign up regardless of what the score card says.

A real bummer you lost the targets too!!

Hap

7. TjayE

TjayE Member

Hap, I was not aware of winning the yardage. I only shot a 91 score and figured the 91 was not high enough to win yardage. TjayE

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If the host club sent in an earned yardage report then yes the ATA will 'catch it'.

9. Hap MecTweaks

TjayE, I've seen guys leave a shoot with an 80s something score kinda disgusted and Mother Nature helped him win yardage with that score. Like you, if the club or another shooter that knows what the punched scores were and called you, you're left holding the bag till it's carded. Can you imagine having to return a dandy trophy and cash also, besides losing the total count?? A huge waste of time and money as you've experienced first hand!!

Hap

Yes, ATA will eventually catch the mistakes!!

10. pigeon101

pigeon101 Active Member

It would be the shooters responsiblity to know ( EARNED YRADAGE ). Its in the shooters ATA handbook under The ATA Handicap System. I had a good score in Handicap over the weekend. Score of 95. Now there were only about 60+ shooters in this event. 15-39 entries 1st place 1/2 yard 40-69 entries 1st place 1 yrd, 70-124 entries 1st place 1 yrd, 2nd place 1/2 yrd .
    Since there were only less than 70 entries in this event my 3rd place 95 didnt earn yardage. Its an easy system to understand , thats why you should know and carry the ATA Handbook with you at every shoot.

Jason in PA

11. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

So, if I understand the process correctly, the club has to turn in a "yardage increase" card/statement to the ATA along with its scores (please jump in and correct any errors I make here, I am just trying to understand)?

So, ostensibly, it would be possible for the club to turn the scores in without a yardage increase statement?

Thanks,

Chip

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Chip,

One of the reports a club must give to the ATA after EVERY shoot is the earned yardage report. Even if there was no earned yardage(due to not enough shooters), it must still be turned in and marked "no earned yardage".
    The other part of that is that the Club is required to let the ATA know if that shooter either had their card punched or was notified. Wisconsin even requires clubs to notify their Association also. Not sure about other states.

The postcards were mentioned and that is why the ATA sends those to every club each year in case a shooter leaves prior to knowing. I do not know if there is any possible penalty to a club for not notifying a shooter of yardage earned (besides getting a bad rep amongst shooters) but it doesn't take much effort to fill out that postcard and drop it in the mail.
    As it's already been stated, it is the shooter's responsibility.

Hope this helps,

Tim

13. Hap MecTweaks

Chip, even if a club overlooks something such as only "1" shooter received yardage, they then look at the total numbers of shooters in attendance! They don't make too many misques when it comes to keeping track of what's going on.

Hap

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

In regards to what's been said.Is there a way a shooter,if they leave early,can get online and check with the ATA and see if they earned yardage at a later date?

Doug H.

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Look up your record in the Shooter Info Center.

Enter your password.

Click on a year.

The page should refresh and show you a link to the "Printer Friendly Page."

Click on that link.

The Printer Friendly page will show all your scores for that year and all the yardage earned, as well as any reductions.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've cashiered a fair number of shoots over the years at my local club. At the end of each shoot I emailed to the ATA:

1) A data file containing the scores for every shooter in every event;

2) .txt files showing the earned yardage for each handicap for all shooters who earned yardage;

3) a .txt file showing the shoot financial report.

These electronic files usually went out the evening that the shoot was completed.

Within a day or so I sent the ATA hard copies of the earned yardage reports, marked to show whether or not the shooter's card was actually punched, a hard copy of the shoot financial report, a check for the fees and memberships due the ATA, and copies of the membership/renewal forms. At the same time I would send to our State Secretary hard marked copies of the earned yardage report, the financial report, State copies of the renewal forms, and a check for fees due the State association.

I would imagine almost all cashiers do similar things.

So in short, the ATA will not miss the earned yardage even if you didn't get your card punched.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Chip, In Janesville, the 3s software kicks out a report of possible earned yardage. it is verified and a card is mailed if a punch is not given at the shoot.

tony

18. Donm

Donm Active Member

In this day and age there is no reason a shooter can not contact someone from a club they shot at to find out if they earn yardage. I understand that you may not think you had a high enough score to get punched but if there is any doubt contact the club or officer there of. In the end it all comes down to the shooter. Tim mentioned Wi. reqiring clubs about people that didn't get punched. I do believe that it was just strongly suggested due to a problem with the state shoot last year where a person shot on the Sunday prior to the shoot and didn't know he recieved yardage when he got classified on Monday or Tuesday and shot at the wrong yardage. When he got home the notice from the club was in the mail. He then called the ATA delegate and explained what happened. He was DQ. That is why we ask the clubs holding shoots within a few weeks to contact the ATA delegate to report any punches that were not given. That way we can catch them at the shoot before any damage is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.