1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will a "Skeet gun" break birds at Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

About how much choke does a skeet gun have compared to a full choked trap gun?

will a skeet gun be fun at casual trap?

2. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Will a

Will it break targets - yes but not very well. Skeet guns usually have open chokes but it may very well vary from one to another - even guns stamped full choke will vary. As for fun, its up to the individual but personally I'd rather not use a hammer to drive a screw!

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Will a

Skeet choke for trap is a stretch. Probably OK for the first bird on doubles with #9 shot but thats about all in my opinion. But all opinions may not be the same. I have a barrel for my ljutic that has .022" restriction. Very forgiving on singles and will absolutely smoke targets. From the 27 it will break target with authority, clearly hits harder than most. It's not so important what the choke measures but what results you get with it. Marc

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Will a

Only if the target is wearing a tutu.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Will a

I knew there would be at least one jab. LOL

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Will a

With 1 1/8oz..it will do a decent job on 16 yard and doubles.. Any longer yardage gets iffy unless you have screw chokes..

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Will a

Bush, A Skeet choke is normally a .005 constriction, while a full choked trap is .030 constriction. Unless you can change chokes, a .005 choke will leave you feeling pretty blue at the end of 25 targets. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

8. skeetjunkie

skeetjunkie TS Member

Will a

If you are incredibly quick to the target you may break most of them at 16 yards, but you're highly unlikely to get them all.

9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

A nice Remington 31 Skeet came up on Gunbroker

I am glad I let it go

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Will a

If you stand on top of the trap house you might get a 25 straight. From 16 yards maybe 5 if your fast and lucky. If you gun has screw in chokes you can use it for all trap games.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Will a

Depends on the Indian.

Don

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Will a

Try it. I doubt you will like it. Why shoot at targets you can't break almost always if you do everything right?

Neil

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Will a

Before the days of screw in chokes the answer was an emmphatic "NO".

But if you could try doubles with a Browning Citori High rib 28 inch skeet gun with IC and IM chokes you might be surprised.

HM

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Will a

My experience is they do not do a very good job at trap. I've never seen anything like STS1100 describes.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Will a

Mr Skeet.. I'm sorry to disagree.. Not only have I seen them run..He does it with 1 1/8oz #9's from the 16.. Kolar. fixed choke .004/.006 LP Gaimbrone.. Now.. his hits are not crushing.. but they are substancial..

Handicapps are a different thing.. Doubles were no challenge to him either..

It's all about the Indian... All Good.. Mike

16. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Will a

Sorry but it takes Skeet shooters years and years of formal training and dedication to learn the fine art of Trap Shooting. Most Skeet shooters stand in total awe of even the most rudimentary of Trap Shooters.

Skeet shooter see all trap shooters more than just 10 ft. tall men in big boots but more like heroic Gods of the shooting world. We do our best to owe up to the perceived giant men status and personification by mentoring all skeet shooters.

We usually start them out with the proper gun type
    and then we teach them which end to point at the target.

17. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Will a

lol, now thats funny, if i want to get into trap shooting, where do i get my bucket of horse sh!t??

j/k, im a novice at best in both games but enjoy them both, someone posted an article about choke tubes and it says that every choke shoots the same 15" core, so if youre good enough to stay within that range then the choke you shoot shouldnt matter, right?

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Will a

I saw a good shooter cleaning his gun when his squad came up before he was really ready. He grabbed his gun and reported to the line and broke 25. When he got back to his truck, he realized that he forgot to put his choke back in. This was 16 yard singles and he is a very quick shooter. Seeing this first hand made me quit worrying about exact chokes. IM is good, light full is good, Full choke is good. I just concentrate on shooting the bird now. They seem to break fine. But to the original poster, open chokes for skeet, tighter for trap.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

PB - Like I said, My experience is they do not do a very good job at trap. I've never seen anything like STS1100 describes.

When and if my experiences change or I see something like LP's performance, I'll change my opinion. But for me so far, I've done better with more choke for trap.

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Will a

I shoot .030+ for trap.. and you have no arguement here.. But the question was.. how does a open skeet choke work at trap.. Simple answer.. if you point the gun correctly.. shoot reasonably fast..and have enough pellets in your pattern.. the bird will break.. not be crushed like I enjoy doing.. just break..

I remember my 34" O/U barrel.. before I screw choked it.. it was choked .006/.012.. I usually shoot 24 gram for everything..but this time I was shooting doubles.. The 24 gram was just not enough with the choke I had.. so I got a box of 1 1/8 #8 Shurshot... and used the 24 gram for the 2nd shot.. Worked like a charm.. The secret to the open choke is the #9's.. for a better saturated pattern..

Anyway.. to each his own.. If you're sure it will not work.. you're correct..it will not for you..

All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 yard trap where do you break birds