1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will a rifle scope withstand --- ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pfofml, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfofml

pfofml Member

I ride my bicylce often on a state owned bike trtail. The trail is quite bumpy. I would like to take my cased Ruger Mini 14 along to shoot a few crows and woodchuchs. I will make a case attached to the rear of the bike. My questions regards the scope retaing its settings when subjected to the bumps when carried on the back of the bike. Are there scopes which were built to withstand rough handling?

Peter

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I believe Koplan makes a scabbard for attachment on 4 wheelers that is foam padded to protect your gun under some pretty tough conditions that I am sure will work on your bike. The outer shell of the case is rigid. Good rings and mounts are a must.
    Be Well
    Wayne

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All of the above, plus this:

If you haven't bought your scope yet get an air rifle model. Air rifles kill normal scopes because of the piston slamming at the end. the slam is also forward, rather than rearward.

So if you can find a suitable air rifle scope for your needs, I would use that rather than a regular one.

HM

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

When you touch off a 300 win mag or 7mm mag does the recoil throw the scope off? You may not want to beat it against rocks and such but a properly installed scope in a case should not be a problem. Think about snipers using a drag sack and pulling it over rocks and wood then making a 1000 yard shot.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What halfmile said. A high performance air rifle will kill a normal scope quicker than a 458. A quality air rifle scope IS nearly indestructible.

6. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I used to carry my rifle in a scabbard I made from a piece of carpet...kinda like the horseback style except on a bike....carpet pile faced inside...always stuck the rifle in with scope facing up and the stock took all the bumps. CBE..crude but effective. I was riding up and down an old railroad track...it was nonstop bumps.

7. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Air rifle scopes have the parallax set at 50 yards instead of 100 so if you go that route make sure you get one with adjustable parallax but you really shouldn't need an air rifle scope. I would sling it on my back in a soft case.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As for shooting from a state owned bike trail, check the regulations for your area. Shooting is prohibited from most if not all state owned bike trails in Oregon, and some are in areas where there is no shooting allowed in the general area anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.