1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will 70/30 POI carry from 16 to 27??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Patterened the ole XT yesterday and from 30 yards I'm currently set at about 70/30 POI. Just wondering if I can expect this same relation whether I'm shooting from the 16yd or the 27yd??

Will the shot outlast the clay in flight or will my POI deteriorate? If it deteriorates will it be at approx the same rate as the clay starts to drop?
    Now that I think about it, at what yardage does the clay actually reach it's zenith and start to drop??

Don't know if I'm explaining this right but hopefully you get the idea of what I'm asking....?

Chuck

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You may be better off with a gun shooting near 100% as you get towards the back fence. If you like your Browning, an adjustable comb is the long term fix.

Once you shoot the high gun at Caps, adjusting for the other events will be easy.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chuck- That depends on how you shoot the gun. The POI only tells us where the gun is shooting. It is quite easy to shoot under targets with a gun that shoots 100% high. To prove this, one only has to watch me shoot a few rounds.

Pat Ireland

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Yes

Try a walking handicap, and you'll immediately see any change you will need to adjust over time as you move back.

The only thing I do different is change my hold on the house from 16 to my handicap yardage, and if shooting from the 27, I know the target breaks right on my bead instead of over it.

I used to have an O/U backup barrel that was 50/50, and it was murder if I shot slow, especially on the second shot of doubles. Made me a faster shooter, and now always try and shoot as the bird's rising. I watch the bird come out of the house under my gun to gain a split second advantage.

5. Richard Marshall JR.

Richard Marshall JR. Member

Every shooter is different. I shoot 70/30POI for singles, handicap and doubles.

Just because to make it back to the 25-27 yardline doesn't mean you need to start shooting a 100%poi. You need to move the gun thru the target not float a target.

Richard Marshall Jr.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, there's somebody who knows how to shoot. I'd go with that...

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah Buzzy, I'd co-sign that also.

Floating a clay by X amount of inches or feet is guess work in my view. The only great consistent shot I ever watched do that is Ray Stafford. His vertical move is practically nil on a rising clay where R.M.Jr. attacks his with a swift smooth move. Most shooters would see more improvement quicker following Richards advice above in my opinion. Better/quicker results through making the eye/clay connection instead of guessing how far under to hold? Hap

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Pat said is true. LOL

However, it is easier to shoot under the bird off the 27 with a flatter shooting gun.

I do not float a bird off the 27. If I don't quite get the bead to the bird, I still have a better chance of breaking it than with a gun that does not shoot as high.

Try it, and still touch the bead to the rising bird at the 27. you will like it.

The original poster asked (I think) if his gun would shoot the same at the 27 as at the 16.

In my experience, covering the bird with the gun is a temptation to lift the head in an attempt to see the bird yoh have just covered up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.