1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will 18.5 inch Cyl barrel break birds?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I just had the idea of taking my home defense shotgun to the club to see what it would do against orange birds.

Anyone have any experience shooting an 18.5 inch cylinder barrel at trap?

2. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Will a microwave oven dry your hair?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot fast and use 7 1/2s and you will hit alot of birds. HMB

4. Bushmaster1313

Why 7 1/2's?

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

You guys are hilarious........Bushmaster, 7 1/2s are just a little bigger size and may carry further. Since you have an open choke, shoot them quick!

Steve

6. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I routinely nail 23+ for my first shot in doubles using my improved cylinder choke tube. Granted, it's out of a 32", but I'll bet you nail more than a few with a fast shot out of your riot gun. Trap ranges sometimes get too stuffy, a riot gun would lighten things up a little, I think. Good luck and have fun...

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I had a 1897 Win. shotgun that I cut down to 22 inch's and on a bet that I could not break a 15 I proceded to break an 18.

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Give em H--l! and let us know how ya do!! I took an old rusty H&R 20ga with 7/8oz loads and got 21. Heard a story of a guy coming into a club with a brand spankin new riot gun and wanted to shoot a round, all the guys said too cold for them and let him go at it alone, he filled the tube with shells and yelled pull and he didnt stop shooting at the bird til it broke or the tube was empty, must have gone threw 4 boxes the laughing stopped when he came back in said he had enough of trap shooting. Man I would love to see him try skeet or sporting clays.

Jerry

9. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

i dont think barrel length should be a problem. my son shot a lot of 27 yd and longer with a 21in 870 when he was younger,but we did use a full choke. he did quite well with it.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sometimes practice with my cowboy shotgun, an old Winchester Model 24 12ga with the barrels cut to 18.5". It's cylinder bore. It will break clays from the 16 yard line. There are some misses, but I don't know if it is from the wide pattern, or that the gun does not fit me, or both. I do know it works great on up close fast breaking quail. But if they get too far away, fugitabowit.

11. uplate

uplate TS Member

I've tried it several times with different guns. Great fun. My best so far is
    22 with an 18in. barrel using 1oz. of 7&1/2's. Shoot fast.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Just put the lead on the target.. Shells can be loaded that will tighten up the pattern..

13. Bushmaster1313

Looking forward to giving it a try.

Advice to shoot fast is so obvious that I did not think of it!

Thanks to all.

Lou

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

You'll more likely have problems with swing versus the pattern. If the target is in the core at 16 yds it will break provided you are not an unreasonably slow shooter. I would use 8.5's by the way.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Cyl bores work great on ruffed grouse in some of the tangled coverts in the east! In some of those spots, a long shot might be all of 30-40 feet! Cly and imp-cyl bags more birds per shot than tighter chokes in those tangles! Yes, cyl chokes will break clays at 26-30 yards with the right loads.

Hap

16. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My dad killed a pickup truck load of phesants in the 1960's shooting a Winchester '97 riot gun. It was a 18" cyl that he put a Simmons rib on. He was lightning fast and always hunted over dogs. With Winchester magnum 6's it would kill roosters out to 35 yards.

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Well what your asking is shooting a 12ga shell thru a 12ga barrel which length is shorter than normal and possibly an open choke !!! It most definitely can be done and well if shot very quick . This may be a little different but I have about 60-70 old Orange Herters 3in. long 20ga shell inserts for a 12ga barrel so shooting them thru a 12 ga barrel has no impact of a choke since the charge is carried out in a 20ga wad ! So to speak that it has no barrel or more like shooting thru an oversized pipe . Anyway, I`ve shot a few 23`s, 24`s and 1- 25 with them in a 34in. Ljutic barrel - 7/8 oz-#8 with 13gr. of 700X . This isn`t done often I might add but just when I feel like having a little fun with the rest of the guys and their 12ga guns. I`m at a big disadvantage as you can see but can usually tie or beat them .

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

How about my skeet revolver? Yup, S&W Mod. 15, 4" with .38 cal snake loads. Figured out the lead and did fairly well......Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.