1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Will 1100 / 1187 Barrels interchange ????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by showdawg, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I was thinking they would, I have a nice 1187, & have access tp step rib barrel for 1100, just wanted to be sure it wouldnt give me any problems.

Showdawg

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

if you check remington's website they have a FAQ section and the answer to your question is posted there.

generally speaking the barrels are NOT interchangeable.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually, the answer is - maybe.

In many cases the barrels will interchange and the gun will operate OK.

However, there are some guns that this combination does not work on.

So, the Remington advice should be considered official. But it is a fact that it will sometimes work.

One problem, though, is the forend. Except for late model 1100s, which are actually 1187s, the forend retention is different and not compatible. 1100s use a detent ball in the forend, and the forend almost always will not work on an 1187 barrel (exceptions are infrequent). The only way around this is to put an o-ring between the forend cap and the forend when reassembling the gun. This has been proven to work. The late model 1100 synthetic forend will universally interchange. It fits both the 1100 and 1187, but it has a detent ball for use on an 1100. I have this forend installed on one of my 1187s. One problem withthe 1187 is that it uses an exhaust gas shield around the forend. This shield protects the wood. This shield will not fit in wooden 1100 forends without inletting work. (It does fit in the universal synthetic forend.)

So, my offical response is now - roll the dice. Your odds are better than the house in Vegas, but you still might go bust sometimes.

BTW, don't try this with the 1100 LT-20 and the 1187 20ga. The barrels WILL NOT interchange whatsoever. I have both models and have tried this. You cannot reassemble the gun with the barrel swapped, regardless of which forend you use. The 1187 20ga gas rings assembly uses am auxillary gas seal sleeve, and this changes the physical dimensions of the barrel too much.

4. 333t

333t Member

The Remington 11-87/1100 owner's handbook specifically states (in bold type) not to switch barrels between the two models. If you compare the two guns magazine tubes, you will see the gas sealing 0-ring grooves are in different positions, each positioned to fit the gas ring on the proper barrel. While the barrels may seem to fit and may function for awhile, I would recommend following the factory instructions on this issue. Trap and/or step rib barrels are available for both models if you hunt around a little.

Phil

5. Brian in Oregon

The groove is for indexing the o-ring for reassembly. I just set the o-ring further out on the mag tube before sliding the swapped barrel over it.

And yes, the Remington manual states not to switch barrels, but it's commonly done.

The Remington manual also states not to modify your firearm, so I guess no one should have porting, forcing cone lengthening, or other barrel work done, nor install a release trigger.

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Showdawg if your worried about it I have a new 1187 trap barrel with the factory knock down button box, and the three chokes it came with. Ross

7. Brian in Oregon

There's your solution. The factory 1187 trap barrel has a step rib, and it's overbored. The bore is .745", then before the choke tubes steps back down to .727". It then uses one of three special choke tubes just for this model. I have one I bought from a gentleman here, and I really like it.

8. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

So, Brian, I have a 1187 Premier a few years old, unfired, I have acces to a step rib barrel marked "target" with chokes. It came off a late model 1100 classic trap. In your opinion will it work??????

Ross, how much for your 1187 barrel??????????

Showdawg

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Sold.

10. DANKIM

DANKIM TS Member

I'v been shooting a 1187 with a 1100 trap barrel on it for about ten years and never had any problems. but none of my 1187 barrels will fit properly on my 1100's.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 1100 barrel will work fine on the 1187. You do not have to change the bolt. With a small flat file open the extractor slot on the 1100 barrel. Take a few thousanths off the top of the slot and a few off the bottom. Work slowly until you have the proper clearence. This is necessary because the 1187 uses a 870 extractor which is thicker than the one used on the 1100. HMB

12. tulsey

tulsey Member

I once installed an 1100 Trap barrel on my 11-87 and you see the difference in the 1100 extractor slot like hmb mentioned. I did not modify the slot since I decided not to use that combination. I did shoot it a few times and it worked just fine. I thought someday I would have problems if I did not open up the slot. The 1100 barrel on the 11-87 was using the 11-87 handguard so there was not any fit problems. Somebody else may have mentioned this, but I understand the newer 1100 guns use the thicker extractor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 1187 barrel interchange

remington 1100 barrel interchange

will 1100 barrels interchange 1187 remington

will a 1100 barrel fit on an 1187

will a remington 1100 barrel fit a 1187

will model 1100 barrel and model 11-87 barrels interchange
will remington 1187 barrel fit 1100
will remington 1187 barrel fit an 1100