1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Will 1 oz loads work effectively at 24 yds???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by royboy, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royboy

royboy Member

Can you use 1 oz loads at 24 yds and get good breaks?? Are they as good as 1& 1/8 loads?? And does #8 shot break em good at the 24 or should you use 7&1/2 at that yardage?? I need to know because I just moved ! Thanks, cw.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes

No

Yes, but some will say to use 7-1/2's when it gets colder.

Yeah, I just moved to the 24 too... but from the other direction (reduction from the 25.)

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

1 oz loads will only work from the 24 if you keep your head down and point the gun correctly. If you try a test and get two boxes of 7.5 and two boxes of 8, mix them together and shoot them, you will not be able to tell one from the other.

Personally, my head does like 7.5 shot for longer range handicap, but my gun does not care a bit.

Congratulations on the punch.

Pat Ireland

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you have choke, a decent pattern and your gun is pointing where you are looking, absolutely. I have broke birds at 24 and further with 1 ounce loads just as hard as 1 and 1/8 ounce loads. However, if its a mental thing and 1 and 1/8 makes you feel more confident, then by all means use them. John E.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

The Winchester AA Lite Super Handicap load got me to the 24. It consists of 1 ounce of #8 shot and moves @ 1290fps. A great handicap load!

Matt

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

1 OZ of #8 will do the job but if you lack confidence in these shells don't try it. How about this, practice by shooting a round of HC with 1 1/8 HC shell followed by a round with the 1 Oz loads, repeat and keep track of the scores. Do this for several weeks and tally the results. My bet is you will have as good or possibly better totals with the lighter shells.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Go to your local wally world and buy a couple of boxes on the Federal 1290fps 1 oz of 8's and give then a try. Very lite recoil and punishes a target. Just a little food for thought.

Remington also makes a STS 1290 1 oz shell!

ec90t

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yes, one ounce will smoke them. Use #8 to give yourself a denser pattern. If it won't mess with your head, the STS 1oz #8 1/2 @ 1180fps is all you need.

10. perazzipaul

perazzipaul TS Member

i shoot 1 oz. 8's at 2 3/4 dram for singles and handicap [23.5 yards]. i also shoot them in turkey matches from 5 across to killers. in a killer they are my first shot all the way back to the 35 yard line. they will break targets from almost anywhere

11. royboy

royboy Member

THANKS to all for the info. Looks like it will be 1 oz of # 8's.
    Hope to see all of you on the 25 in a while!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They will also work from the 27. But, then so will 7/8's. However, when all the good shooters will be at the max 1 1/8, your just handicaping yourself more.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

1oz loads are all I practice with from the 27 and they work fine. I do however shoot heavier 3 dram 11/8 loads for registered targets.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lately, I've shot more straights at all yardages with 1oz of 8s than any other load. That might be because I shoot more of them than any other load. I ususally load them up to around 1235 fps or a little faster. I also like fast (1250-1300+ fps) 7/8 oz loads. When the money is on the line, I might go to an 1 1/8 oz load, but it's more in my head than it is in results. I've never really seen much difference with 7 1/2's either, except in the really cold weather at longer yardages. I'll go with more pellets in the load of 8s.

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

1oz will work just fine at the 25. I've used 7/8oz 8.5's their with great results. Have fun. Dave T.

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If the reduced shot charge bothers you, do not shoot it. If you believe you need to wear a red sweater when you shoot, wear the sweater. This also covers chokes, gloves, cowboy boots, and hats. I am not making fun of anyone or any habit. I just believe more targets are lost due to negative thoughts than are lost to lighter loads.

On the ballistic side, there are people who have reasons to believe one ounce loads are superior to 1 1/8 ounce loads. It has to do with less smushing of the shot column and reducing the shot string.

On the physical side, at a long shoot, less recoil will reduce fatigue. After shooting Friday and Saturday, maybe it will pick up just one target on Sunday and maybe that is all you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.