1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Wilkinson stamp real or fake?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Member

I have a trap gun with Wilkinson stamped on the bottom of the mono block. A shooter at a local gun club said someone had stamped this on mono blocks of some barrels to make them worth more. I called Tom Wilkinson to see if he had any records on barrels he had worked on, and he said he lost all his records on his computer due to a lightening strike. But he said he always stamped Wilkinson on barrels he did work on. My question is has anyone else heard of this rumor? Thanks, Dale
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Compare the lettering and placement with a known good barrel. Order of pics around.
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm guessing if you sent the barrel to him, he would be able to tell his work and his stamp from someone elses, and be able to return the barrel to you with a letter of authenticity (or not).
  4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have a barrel Stamped T. Wilkinson that I bought from a reliable seller, who said it was one Wilkinson's barrels. I called Tom about the screw in chokes because one is 0.50. Tom said the barrrl is probably one he worked over, but the chokes were not his, as he has never choked anything 0.50.

So who knows???

Surfer
  5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I called to verify my barrel work on a gun I bought, and Tom told me same thing. He said he would gladly verify if he had barrels in hand. I've measured all three barrels(combo) and they all measure the same. The tubes are all etched with the constriction and use (singles, handicap, and first shot of doubles) and serial number of gun. PM me a pic of stamping and I'll compare to mine if you want.
  6. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

"are soon parted."
  7. missed some

missed some TS Member

why??? would anyone go to the trouble of doing that??? and if the barrel breaks targets, who cares?? man talk about overthinking, is there actually a group, a guy? making a living on forged names on shotgun barrels?? WOW...........
  8. geeber

geeber Member

I sent a barrel to him back in 2006 and when it came back I couldn't find a stamp it anywhere. I called to ask about it and the lady that answered the phone said, "Sometimes he doesn't stamp them". ???

Gary B.
  9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Does it look like this?

sseitz007_2008_01044.jpg

Silver Seitz barrel.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  10. dale58

dale58 Member

Yes, the one i have looks just like that. Thanks Dale
  11. dead on 4

Mine doesn't.

Surfer
  12. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Mine doesn't have a stamp either. I have the receipt listing my serial # though.

Larry
  13. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Seems strange, stamp some, but not all? Hmmm, makes me wonder. I think I would not
    trust the process. Imprinting letters on and in metal is not difficult.
    Buyer beware.

Just some thoughts,

Gunnerx11
  14. dale58

dale58 Member

This is mine
    dale58_2011_2203.jpg
  15. dead on 4

Mine doesn't look like gene's or dale's.

Surfer
  16. dale58

dale58 Member

Like geeber said, maybe he didn't stamp all of them. But has anyone else in the whole country heard of this rumor of barrels being stamped so the gun could be sold for a higher price? I have only heard this from one local shooter, and I'm not sure i believe him. Dale
  17. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I have a Ljutic...Perazzi and an Alfermann...all done by Tom at different times...Stamping all looks the same...upper case WILKINSON..all three shoot the same POI and smoke targets...

Dave
  18. BIGDON

BIGDON Active Member

Gennerex: Are you saying Wilinson's work is junk or suspect?? Are you just running your mouth to be part of the conversation??

Because you just proved you don't know squat about barrel work.

Don
  19. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Don,

WTH ?

What I took Gunnerx11 to mean is that if someone was offer for sale a barrel that was advertised as worked on by Wilkinson, he would not just take their word for it as it would seem easy enough to fake.

He did not imply that Wilkinsons work was anything. Nor did he represent himself as an expert in barrel work.

He stated the obvious.
  20. dale58

dale58 Member

I think short of sending my barrel to Tom for him to verify his work, I feel pretty good that it is his work. I have since measured the bore at .749 and the fixed choke at .711 for .038 full choke. It shoots nice full patterns on paper at 32- 35 yards and breaks targets even better. ( if I do my part ). Dale
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.