1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilkinson for sporting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pm30, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pm30

pm30 Member

I'm thinking of buying a wilkinson tuned sporting barrel, I know that trap shooters like his work but how about what sporting shooters think, any help would be great.

Steve

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Fixed choke or screw?
    The major difference is trap has fixed yardages you shoot from. Obviously sporting doesn't.
    Eyester used to pattern three chokes for close med and damn far. Makes sense to me.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sporting shooters are too smart for that crap

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A good number of the very top sporting clays shooters shoot fixed choke barrels - the best being George Digweed of GB. They shoot very tight chokes,
    improved modified to full. Like 27 yard trapshooters, they feel the most important thing is to have a pattern that will give solid hits at 50 yards and up. They're not concerned about the closer in targets because they're not going to miss those even with a tight choke. They're mostly shooting one ounce loads
    because that's all that's legal in FITASC, the international type sporting clays.

For most sporting clays shooters, a light modified choke by Wilkinson would
    be the best choice, and would cover most targets. You could use "spreader" loads for the really close in targets.

5. pm30

pm30 Member

All that info is great but I must have not explained myself very well, so I'll try again the barrel I'm looking at has been tuned with tubes added my question is , has anybody used his "tuning" for sporting and are they happy or not? Eyster would be my first choice for barrel and choke work but this barrel doesn't give me that option. I personaly have not heard anything good or bad about the wilkinson's deal, mostly trap guys only and on forums

Steve

6. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

If your looking for great patterns. Toms will work!!!

7. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

I shoot a 34" MX 10 that Tom did the back boring, lengthened the forcing cones and put chokes tubes in, I shoot all three disciplines, trap, skeet and sporting with this gun and have great results. I don't think there is any better work than his. Feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

Darrell
    Leading Edge Shooting School
    720-299-9507

8. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have 2 K-80 barrels by Tom, one with fixed chokes and one with thin walls and they both are great. I had 3 barrels tuned by Ken Eyster and they were also great. You will not disapointed with Wilkinson I promise.

9. pm30

pm30 Member

Thanks for the great feedback !!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wilkinson chokes sporting clays