1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilkinson Barrel Work Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

Last week i took delivery of a beautiful Silver Seitz from Bob Schultz. I would like to solicit opinions of having Tom Wilkinson work on the barrel so that it shoots with maximum effectiveness. I have seen discussions about back boring, lengthened forcing cones and having Wilkinson "tune" the barrel. Can anyone whith experience in these matters and with Wilkinsons work provide me with advice on what is and what is not worth having done to this wonderful gun.
    Thanks Doug

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Call Tom Wilkinson himself. He's not going to give you a hard sell and will tell you what he can do and how he does it.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. 100straight

100straight Member

If you want the barrel to shoot to its highest potential, send it to Tom and tell him to do whatever he needs to do to make it shoot the best it can. He is the expert and every barrel is different. He will do what needs to be done.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Doug, don't listen to the comments above. You bought a good gun. It comes with a good barrel and choke. Shoot it for a while and get used to it. If, after a couple of thousand targets, you think it deficient, then you can consider having barrel/choke work done. I doubt that will happen.

If it does, call Allor, Wilkinson and Eyster and talk to them about what you think is deficient, and what they can do about it. It will be informative.

If you decide to send your barrel to any of the three I mentioned, you'll get a good shooting barrel/choke back. That being said, three barrels done by Wilkinson and three done by Allor tells the tale. The Wilkinson barrels were GREAT. The Allor barrels were all of that AND raised my scores. Guess who any future barrels that need help will go to.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Call Seitz & ask what he does to his bbls to made them shoot. Then pattern the gun with loads you will be shooting. That will tell you what you need to know about having work done. Keep in mind you do not have a mass produced bbl. I am sure that bbl was well regulated.
    Tom did my TM1. I shot 5 patterns each with 5 different loads,from 7/8 to 1 1/4 before I sent him the gun. 25 seperate patterns. Got the gun back & did the same with the same boxes. In all cases,a very noticable improvement. Moved the pellets outside the 30" circle to the inside. Also more uniformity inside the 30" circle.

6. pdq

pdq Member

Do a search on "Wilkinson"

I suspect you'll find about 100 people have asked this same question, with the same answers resulting.

He does great work.

Pete

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

are you sure it hasn't already been done?

8. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Go to the patterning board first. Don't like what you see??? Get a box.

Tom has my gun right now. It will be right when I get it back. YMWNV.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

will it turn a miss into a hit???

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Euro, Yes. My Seitz was center core heavy. Tom W. evened out the pattern, but he knew I shot fairly quick. My Alf is Eysterized. It's great too.

11. Jimmy Miller

Jimmy Miller Member

Tom Is the best. Look at the Grand last year and see how many of the final 10 handicap winners used his barrel work. There is no comparison records are clear.
    Jimmy

12. Montatriot

Montatriot TS Member

Yes, you will occasionally hit a bird you may have missed, the 'would be flyers', are brought back into the pattern and contribute to less 'friney edges' among other things. I bought a new high-end combo a few years back, after shooting it a while I sent it to Tom Wilinson, the difference was immediately noticeable, especially 27yd handicap targets. I purchased two more combos for my best employees, and since I wasn't expert enough to tell if the pattern was 'deficient', I sent them straight to Mr. Wilkinson, now I know they are not 'deficient'. Our squad mates always ask why they just can't seem to hit the birds as hard as we do, we just shrug our shoulders and give each other 'the wink'.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Got pattern Problems and want improvements, send the gun and tell them what shells you shoot, to Tom Wilkinson, Kerry Allor, you will not be disappointed.

Citadel I would have liked that Seitz you got from Bob Shultz

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. citadel

citadel Active Member

I contacted Tom today and he had some suggestions so I will send the fixed rib barrel off to him for some "housekeeping" and chokes.
    Thanks to all for the input.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
eyster barrel work
how long tom wilkinson take to do barrels

tom wilkinson barrel work

tom wilkinson barrels

who does barrel work for silver seitz
wilkinson barrel

wilkinson barrel work